Agu Ventura 140 Rear Panniers

chronyx
chronyx Posts: 455
edited January 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to buy these as they seem good value for money and wondered if anyone has used them! Are they easy to attach and do they fit securely?

Thanks!
2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I haven't used them or seen them in the flesh, but I reckon that whilst they are certainly cheap they probably aren't good value for money. My experience of cheap panniers is lack of waterproofing, cheap fabric that wears out, poor fittings that break, and poor fit and design. They are also 54 litres which is a lot, you probably don't need that much capacity (maybe you do, but cheap panniers won't carry that weight well).

In contrast, probably the best panniers you can get are only £70, have a brilliant fitting system, totally waterproof, can be used singly, have a 5 year guarantee, have a ready supply of spare parts and repair kits, and are the pannier of choice for cyclists who tour the world - the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic (£70 a pair including delivery from Spa Cycles). Now these are much more likely to be good value for money. I think this is a situation where the adage "buy cheap, buy twice" applies perfectly. Buy these and they will last you for many many years, all the time doing the job perfectly.

ortlieb%20backroller%20cl%2006%20med.jpg
  • chronyx
    Thanks alfablue - have you personal experience of these Ortlieb panniers?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • alfablue
    I have the Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus panniers, these are more expensive.

Bike packer models have a lid rather than the roll closure of the Classic, and Plus models have a thinner fabric that is still waterproof, but has the look of cordura rather than vinyl. Plus models also have a QL2 fitting system rather than QL1.

You can get the Back Rollers in a Plus version, and the Bike Packers in a Classic version.

I thought I would prefer the lid, however my girlfriend got the Back Roller Classics (as she was more price sensitive!) and I actually prefer them as the Bike Packers are not so easy to fill to the brim - the lid gets to be a tight fit, whereas the Classics seem to be easier to stuff to the limit. There are also slight differences in the fitting systems (QL1 on Classic models, QL2 on Plus models). They essentially work the same so the hooks unlatch with just one pull of the handle to lift off, and the engage automatically when putting them on (ths allowing a one handed operation), the difference being QL2 has tool-free adjustment of the hooks (not a big deal, with QL1 it is just an allen key, and once set you don't need to adjust again), and also the QL2 system have the facility to fit the accessory wire security accessory - again, not a big deal, but means I can leave the bag on the bike with more confidence if I pop into a shop.

Anyway we have toured with these and both do a fantastic job, I would now choose the Roller Classics over the Bike Packers, and I prefer the fabric of the classics over the plus. I have used a few cheap panniers before and found them to be a pain, with awkward fittings, ripping fabric, breaking hooks etc, which doesn't make you feel confident when loaded touring.

As for the company, they impressed me, I emailed them with an idea for a design change on their bar bags and next day they emailed me back telling me that they would be integrating my suggested feature (they had obviously already thought of it :wink: ) on the next model release in 2010. Not a big deal, but I like companies that enter into dialogue with customers, and it inspires confidence that they will be there if and when you need help.
  • chronyx
    Many thanks for your time and effort replying :) they seem to be what I'm after, and what's £30, really?!
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • alfablue
    chronyx wrote:
    ..... and what's £30, really?!
    spoken like a true cyclist :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    chronyx wrote:
    Many thanks for your time and effort replying :) they seem to be what I'm after, and what's £30, really?!

About what I save every week by using a bike...
  • chronyx
    :D Well this is it, I'm really hoping the panniers will make carrying things etc easy enough to use the bike more often, and maybe save some petrol.

Have also fitted 'normal' style SPD pedals and bought some fairly nice Spesh shoes that look alright with most things.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • chronyx
    Well just to let you know the outcome...

They arrived today, ordered yesterday morning which is impressive.

Fitted pretty quicky onto my 'Tortec' LBS rack.

They fit pretty well, the lower clip doesnt' grip particularly tightly onto the rack so I might add some strategically placed duct tape or lagging to take up the space.

Loads of space and most importantly they take a flask!

Just see how waterproof they are with just the roll top and a clip to keep the weather out.

Red, to go with the bike, in case you wondered. :lol:
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!: