Post ride recovery drinks.

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
What is the best post ride recovery drink. I currently use various types of the SIS brand but have never tried anything else really. Just curious as to what others might use and why? Cheers Tony.

Comments

• drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    Try CNP PRO RECOVER pal.

It has the best ingrediants which is the most important but it tastes good and digests really well.

I think it's a little more expensive than some but it's deifinately worth the extra!
    chris
  • Tonymufc
    Nice one mate I shall give that one a whirl. I was using some of the CNP stuff when I was going to the gym and it was pretty good stuff. Cheers Tony.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Nah..
    Get a glass of skimmed milk, a banana, little bit of banana crusha, a handful of oats and blitz it with a hand blender. Keeps me going til tea time and rehydrates me.
  • Tonymufc
    Suppose thats the cheaper option. :D
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    a bottle of Mars chocolate milk - I'm sure someone willl be along in a minute to tell me why its a really bad idea, but either way it works extremely well...
  • Tonymufc
    softlad wrote:
    a bottle of Mars chocolate milk - I'm sure someone willl be along in a minute to tell me why its a really bad idea, but either way it works extremely well...

Yeah I read somewhere last year that choc milkshake was a really good post ride drink. Can't remember why though.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    unless you are doing some serious training (several hours a day) or are riding in extreme heat i don't really thing pre formulated recovery drinks are necessary.

as mentioned above choccy milk has the right proportions of fat and carbs to aid recovery and has long been used by cyclists as a post ride drink. it also tends to fill you up a bit so you are not starving while you shower/sort your gear out before you get a chance to fix up a proper meal.
  • Tonymufc
    I have four days a week off and probably ride for three out of the four. ( I also commute two days out of the four that I'm in work ). Each ride is 2hrs +. Is this not sufficent enough to need a recovery drink.
  • softlad
    depends - '2 hrs +' could mean '2hrs 15 mins' or it could mean '4 hrs'. If your rides are around 2 hrs, then regular food & drink intake should be enough to get you recovered by the next day. If you are doing 3-4hrs, then maybe add some recovery drink too. Either way, the recovery drink can only help, so if it was Mars milk, I would drink it anyway.. ;)
  • Jacques Anquetil used to recover drinking Champagne and Cognac and he has won a race or two in career.

On a more serious note, I don't believe much in recovery drinks. Drink enough water so that you're not thirsty, have a meal with enough carbohydrates and fruit and veg, have a bath and don't underestimate the benefits of a pint or two of Yorkshire ale.
    Seriously, a honest genuine ale can do miracle on your muscles, but stay away from chemically brewed lagers!
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've used Rego - that seems to hit the spot quite nicely. Not after every ride though - just the longer ones.

Cheaper options are plain old milkshake, For Goodness Shakes, and the Slimfast Shakes too. I normally bung a couple of slimfasts in my bag for after marathons - and it seems to help me.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I drink For Goodness Shakes, but generally only the Organic Vanilla Bean one. Tastes lovely, and has the right amount of carbs, protein and fats. It is good when you have done some hard training and you need something fairly quickly to help recover.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Generalising (always dangerous!) 1 hours exercise at 70% of VO2 max should exhaust muscle glycogen stores, which need to be restored. If you're exercising every day, it's very important that you "eat smart" in order to facilitate this. In general, you have a 6 hour window post-exercise in which glycogen will be best created and stored, of which eating in the 2 hours after finishing exercise will "kick start" recovery (I've also read first 20 mins is best, but not sure how scientific that was). Studies have shown that including protein assists recovery. The way you injest the carbs and protein is up to you, but some studies have shown that high/moderate GI foods are best. Personally I tend to exercise 1.5 hours minimum, and often train successive days, so I tend to have a recovery shake after exercise (personally I like bannana Rego, reminds me of being a kid), followed by a high GI meal when I feel I can eat (that Rego stuff is filling!). Usually exercise early afternoon, so I also manage to fit my evening meal in to the 6 hour window as well.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • Nobody for the Black Sheep then?
    left the forum March 2023
  • More a Jennings man meself.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • softlad
    Nobody for the Black Sheep then?

according to his book, 'Andy McNabb' got through SAS selection on two pints of Guinness and a bag of chips every evening..
  • Jonathan Mcp
    Jonathan Mcp Posts: 2,472
    softlad wrote:

Twas in C+ last year that choccy milk is a good recovery drink.

The same article also had some limited evidence that nicotene patches :shock: might help endurance and increase the time to exhaustion point.
  • softlad
    nicotene - now there's a thought. I suppose it was good enough for Cipo...must have been tricky lighting up on the bike.... ;)

10.jpg
  • I love that guy!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Jacques Anquetil used to recover drinking Champagne and Cognac and he has won a race or two in career.

On a more serious note, I don't believe much in recovery drinks. Drink enough water so that you're not thirsty, have a meal with enough carbohydrates and fruit and veg, have a bath and don't underestimate the benefits of a pint or two of Yorkshire ale.
    Seriously, a honest genuine ale can do miracle on your muscles, but stay away from chemically brewed lagers!

What are chemically brewed lagers?
  • softlad
    crabstix wrote:
    What are chemically brewed lagers?

I gues that refers to the difference between 'real' ales and the mass market 'fizzy pop' that passes for lager in the local pub...
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Jacques Anquetil used to recover drinking Champagne and Cognac and he has won a race or two in career.

But it was the amphetamines that he and all the other pro riders were taking back then which helped him win the races, not the Cognac afterwards. Suppose the booze helped him sleep though eh!