new bikes £900-1300, what a mine field!

landscapingsam
landscapingsam Posts: 174
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Im so confused, considering a new bike at this sort of money but there is so much on offer its mind blowing!

tempted by several e.g.

Focus cayo 105
Planet X offer
Felt F55
Kiron scandium
Specialized Tarmac comp
Scott CR1 pro

the list goes on-any guidence at all would be amazing, i appretiate this is a repeated subject on this forum so sorry in advance for covering old ground.

Thanks

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Probably the P-X if the Geometry suits you (it doesn't suit me)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's easy, I don't know why people umm and aaah over choosing a bike. Simply buy the best one...

;)

(Planet X are very popular in my club, bargain really, but I'd get a Liquigas Cannondale CAAD9 105 'cos I'm a tart ...)
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    This months C+ upto £1000 bike test summary:

re. the Boardman Team Carbon 09

.... it's the best of a remarkable bunch. We've no qualms in saying that is sets a new standard for sub-£1000 road bikes
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    pud77 wrote:
    This months C+ upto £1000 bike test summary:

re. the Boardman Team Carbon 09

.... it's the best of a remarkable bunch. We've no qualms in saying that is sets a new standard for sub-£1000 road bikes

True

Although it did have the most aggressive race position of all the bikes. Which may be good or bad.

I won't go on about the Halfords stigma either :twisted:
  • cyclingpunk
    cyclingpunk Posts: 368
    edited January 2009
    I had a look at the boardman at the weekend. Looks ok for the money. I have an 08 cayo and if they have that in your size it is better value than the 09 105. Very nice bike but do not expect too much in the way of comfort. Changing the bar tape, seat and tires made a worthwhile difference though.
  • Unfortunately all the bikes you mention have their merits! Personally I'd go for a Ribble nero corsa - sorry to give you another bike to consider!
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    For me it's the new Orbea Onix 2009...

orbea-onix-09bira-1000.jpg

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm

Just my opinion though. sorry to throw yet another bike in but you did ask :D
  • If I had up to £1300 to spend on a bike I would get a PX, no questions asked! If I had £2k to spend on a bike I would get a Trek Madone!!

If you consider the exceptional quality of the components that come with the PX it really is a no brainer for me.
  • wow that orbea is pretty!

thanks for all the advice guys, will keep an eye out for part ex's, not an abundance of retailers around here though.

What ever i decide i will just have to ride first and go on personal preference!
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    wow that orbea is pretty!

thanks for all the advice guys, will keep an eye out for part ex's, not an abundance of retailers around here though.

What ever i decide i will just have to ride first and go on personal preference!

A bike is a very personal choice, people favour different aspects of bikes, so you're right, get on it, test it, love it --> buy it :) simple as that.

Good luck, let us know what you go for.