Is it just me or do people ride less in the cold nowadays?

steve2021
steve2021 Posts: 97
I keep reading both on here and in magazines about the dangers of ice and about people staying in when it is icy.

I don't argue that it is dangerous when you hit ice, but in my experience the chances of that happening are fairly low if you are careful. Now lots of people seem to stay in when it is frosty? Have we all got more cautious? I used to go out without a second thought when i rode alot in the mid 90s.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't mind the cold, and would probably still commute in icy conditions, but I think twice if I'm "just going for a ride".
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I used to ride in ice, snow, wind, rain - any weather going - when I was in my late teens/early twenties. If it was icy, I'd just use the fixed as it seemed to give more control and less to damage when I did fall off.

Then I got older (and arguably wiser), and with a wife and two young kids I worry more about the consequences of sliding across a road into the path of an oncoming car.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I've just gotten too comfortable as the years have gone by, it seems like more of a shock to the system now when I go out into temperatures below 10C. I'll still do it, and even enjoy it, I just need to make more of a mental effort to get me out there in the first place.

Though I will admit that my rides all seem to be around 10 miles when it's cold, compared to 25-30+ when the weather is more pleasant.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I will pretty much ride in anything, regardless of the temp. The only thing that really does make me think twice ( with th exception of commuting, I don't really care then ) is when it is lagging it down. It goes against the grain a bit, going out to purposely get soaked. :(
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I've been getting in 2-3 hours pretty much daily since xmas eve. All you need to do is wear the right gear and keep an eye on the road in front, while bearing in mind that the temperature is likely to be lower in shaded areas or at the bottom of valleys - of which there are plenty round here...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I've been out by 07.30 each of the last 12 days but one, altho' I do choose my route according to the weather conditions. For example, a well-salted/gritted/used road takes me to the canal/river side paths/trails. If I drop it on a hard-packed "frozen" path yes it will hurt a bit - but I won't end up under a 44 tonner.
    But as I get older I do need more and more clothes!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I don't make the weather an excuse, otherwise where do you draw the line. I've always considered it better training the more cold it is. Certainly seems harder work to me.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Why train in the cold if you can jump on the turbo?
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Infamous wrote:
    Why train in the cold if you can jump on the turbo?
    Why suffer on a turbo when you can go outside? :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • i havent cycled outside since november i plan on using the turbo till about the end of febuary
  • Ricardo H
    Ricardo H Posts: 167
    0ne hour on the turbo and i'm bored, off for my first road ride since chritsmas eve as the roads are looking alot better out in the sticks
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I sold my turbo as after 15 mins I was bored stiff even with a tv in front of me.

I have all manor of cold/wet weather gear to satisfy most weather conditions but still wont go out if its pouring with rain.I don't mind getting wet once I'm out but don't want to get wet front the start.

I ride every day on my commute as I don't drive and I'm to tight to pay for buses
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    i dont mind the weather the only thing i hate is black ice then i use the jump bike seems planted on any thing
    oh yeah and turbos are almost as bad as a running machine BORING!!!

u build ur handling skills etc by actually riding
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I cycle whatever the weather, apart from rain when it is below 4 degrees.

Did 98miles the other day, temp was about 3-4 degrees.
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    I commute all year round, come rain, ice or snow.

But when it comes to doing a 4 to 6 hour ride and its -4 or cold and raining, I take the opportunity to catch up with friends.
  • I avoid riding if its badly icy or blowing gale force winds, but will ride in just about anything else. I think I've missed only a couple of rides this year
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    I've had a couple of falls on black ice and can do without more. When I can see the road "glittering" then it's 90 mins on the turbo with a good film. What's to gain by going out on the roads in almost sub-zero temps, apart from mental toughness?

Then again, Mountain Biking through a quiet, frosty Welsh forest is just great...no slippery roads, no cars, little wind chill and a good workout.
  • Went out for a 50 miler on the 30th December and my water bottle was entirely frozen by the time I got home. It was a little chilly on the quiet roads of East Lothian. My 19 mph average kept me nice and toasty though.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • i also ride in snow blizards and gale force winds cos im a real man.
    by the way my favourite song is "i could be your hero baby" by Enrique Iglesias
  • I went out this morning for a quick 12 mile ride and it was freezing and very icy going to stay on the turbo tomorrow :lol:
    Want a Site? Visit
    www.cpbwebdesign.co.uk
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    when I were a kid we used to go for bike rides in the depths of winter with no gloves ... nor shoes ... nor shorts ... nor bike.

Lets face it, some of us do and some of us don't ride in the cold. :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Hi all,

I commute to work almost every day in the winter where the roads are well salted but........

A couple of years ago I fell off on ice and really hurt my shoulder. By the time I arrived home (a further 50 miles!) I couldn't lift my arm - I was off the bike for a good month.

This year I went out a few weeks ago and after an hour and a half I noticed the front wheel slip a couple of times I carried on. It was bright and the sun was warming the roads - I carried on.

2 minutes later wheeeeee....... off I fell, and a few more bruises to nurse. When I tried to pick my bike up I slipped and realized that I was in a very difficult situation - black ice everywhere. The roads were now dreadful and I could hardly walk and I fell a few times - it really was that bad. I couldn't go back and now I had about 7 miles to get to a good well salted road. Luckilly the man outside his house drove me to the main road.

So...... now I go up the Galibier indoors on my Elite RealAxiom and although it's not like being out on the real road I get a good couple of hours of decent training where I am not going to injure myself and be off the bike for months. Winter will be over and hopefully I'll be ready.

My thought are to go out but take care and beware. I saw somebody descending the cat*fiiddle at the weekend. There was ice on the side of the road, I was in my car - The rider looked happy as I know it would have felt good - but what a risk. Also maybe worth having accident insurance. I took it out one Friday on the web and on the Sunday a car mowed me down (pulling out a side street). The insurance paid up even though I hadn't even received the paperwork!

Take care all - Tom

Waiting for the sun
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Hi all,

Also maybe worth having accident insurance. I took it out one Friday on the web and on the Sunday a car mowed me down (pulling out a side street). The insurance paid up even though I hadn't even received the paperwork!

Take care all - Tom

Waiting for the sun

Hope you're ok Tom. But why didnt you claim off the car's insurance?
    Im off out now for a couple of hours. It's not ideal but next week is looking abysmal so i need to get out while i can.
  • The fair weather cyclists ride less.

The serious lads will be out all weathers.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Hi Bluecow,

It's taken two years to claim through the CTC recomended solicitors. It's should be finally settled in January - but it woudn't surprise me if it takes longer.

Re Shocked SoShocked - Those that know me wouldn't call me a fair weather cyclist, but make your own mind up

Bluecow - You show your self as North Manchester (You don't per chance ride a light blue fixxy?) - I'm nearby, If ever you want to meet up for a ride let me know time and a meeting place and you can see how it goes. I am happy at endurance, pace or leisure.

Take care - Tom
  • garetjax wrote:
    I've had a couple of falls on black ice and can do without more. When I can see the road "glittering" then it's 90 mins on the turbo with a good film. What's to gain by going out on the roads in almost sub-zero temps, apart from mental toughness?

Then again, Mountain Biking through a quiet, frosty Welsh forest is just great...no slippery roads, no cars, little wind chill and a good workout.

exactly why I bought one. Grass and heather is a lot softer to land on, though rocks can hurt a bit.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    In chilly S. Cheshire this morning, I reckon I have not seen so many riders before on non-club rides. A much higher % of middle aged / older guys carry a bit of excess if you know what I mean. I thought it was great !
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    I took the train to work this morning :(
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I'm fine riding in the cold. However, when I go to a club run and people ride on fixies in the fastest ride, I tend to call it a day. It means I get virtually nothing out of the ride, apart from getting completely freezing!
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Don't have a problem with the cold. I do however have a deep seated aversion to black ice which seems to be more common than it used to be (fewer roads being gritted?) Hence no problems riding over the last couple of weeks in sub zero temperatures when the roads were dry but this week looks to be one where I will be using the car and the turbo. :cry: