Position

zacca
zacca Posts: 25
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, just fiddling around with the position on my new bike, how does this look?
cear in mind my leg does extend a bit more to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke

http://img376.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00153ef3.jpg

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Probably not what you want to hear but your frame looks a bit on the small side in my opinion giving you quite an upright position.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Frame size looks ok, but how long is your stem?

I'd try a (slightly) longer one.

Bear in mind asking for "fit" on a forum will (probably) generate a different answer from every responder
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    topdude wrote:
    Probably not what you want to hear but your frame looks a bit on the small side in my opinion giving you quite an upright position.

Frame size looks absolutely spot on to me.

The position looks fine tbh, go for a few long rides and if it's not comfortable, change stem/bars/saddle position until it is.
  • zacca
    Im sure the frame must be the right size, after all, it did pass the test in the shop.
    When on the hoods, the front hub is blocked.
    When on the drops the hub is in front of the bars.
    When on the bars the hub is slightly behind.

Thing is Im between two sizes as Im just a shade under 6ft. The 58cm is designed for 6'0 to 6'3, so I would have been pretty stretched out..right? I also tried a 58cm allez, as they didnt have a 58 tarmac in stock, and the hub was behind the bars when riding on the hoods - meaning a 58cm is too big for me- right????

I think I need to try and sit back in the saddle more, which brings my position quite a bit lower

thnks for the feedback, anyone else got any comments?
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    im just under 6ft and ride a 56 specialized tarmac.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • zacca
    What size stem do you use steve? Did you find that the 58 stretched you out too much as well?

Heres some more pics having updated my position a bit, any comments welcome.

dsc01264gt8.th.jpg

dsc01263fh7.th.jpg

dsc01262la9.th.jpg
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    its a 10mm stem.

as soon as i sat on the 56 i knew it was right!!! i previously had a 54" frame, and ended up putting a longer stem on it!

your position looks fine, but how do you feel???

maybe try other stems to see if they seem any better.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I would say that, in the first post, your saddle seems too low. Maybe your legs could use a bit more extension by raising it. Can't enlarge your second set, so really can't see what you've done. Keep working on it. A little here and a little there. It's somewhat of a process and doesn't really have to conform to all the "rules" that people will tell you about. i.e. the first two posts were already claiming the bike was too small and that it was also spot on. I'm sure someone else will come along and say it's too large. IMHO
    comfort is right up there at the top for a good road bike. If it's not comfortable because the bars are to low, seat at the wrong angle, not enough leg extension, and a bunch of other things, well, how much enjoyment will you get out of it?

Dennis Noward