Drugs - what me?

GeorgeShaw
GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
edited January 2009 in Pro race
It was interesting to see a few minutes ago on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (I know, I shouldn't) that Christine Ohuruogu had a year off prior to the Olympics "with a hamstring injury". A case of denial and the re-writing of history, methinks.

Comments

• I thought this was really odd - was n't she the girl who miised some tests as well. Still, all got forgotten about when she did so well - or am I thinking of someone else??
  • Indeedy .

The paragon of sporting excellence . The triumphant face of British athletics . On 'Millionaire' you say ? Yikes !

Apparently the wholly charmless Christine is the best we can come up - after she threatened to change her deep devotion to Britain to that of her mother's birthplace - Nigeria , if we didn't allow her to continue her crafty ways of chippy evasiveness . Wasn't association with the equally unwholesome Linford Christie enough for our sports hacks ?

It worked . She's got away with it and taken in most of the population with it ( even managed to get on the SPOTY shortlist - amazing ! ) . The sports media writers - the opinion formers , it would appear , seem to buy her line of guileless innocence and innate 'forgetfulness' ( this despite her 'estuaryspeak' and grammatical mangling of spoken English , she holds a degree in English .. ' some'fink ' or other ) .

Well , a mercy in that at least it dilutes my ire a little in that it's not focussed on the 'great' Lance to the exclusion of all .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Oh yes she is the one that missed 3 tests. All seems to have been forgiven and now she's the "darling" of British Athletics. Lets hope that somebody spills the beans on here just as they did on Marion Jones. They're both as dirty as each other!!
  • And now she's a CBE.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • And now she's a CBE.

Oh , blimey ! I didn't know that . :evil:

I ought not be surprised though as this is the same gene pool that spawned Tony Blair and his ilk . :roll:

Next , a postage stamp with her smirking phy'sog . Or have they already done that ? :?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    mercsport wrote:
    And now she's a CBE.

I ought not be surprised though as this is the same gene pool that spawned Tony Blair and his ilk . :roll:
    What garbage is that?????
  • alfablue wrote:
    mercsport wrote:
    And now she's a CBE.

What garbage is that?????

It's called s t r e t c h i n g a point .

What else confuses ?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well, I presume it stretched in order to be humorous....

• alfablue wrote:
    Well, I presume it stretched in order to be humorous....

Aye , suppose so . :)

Couldn't think of a better metaphor on the hoof , as my gaze passed an image of the grinning ninny in a newspaper nearby .
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    She's an MBE not a CBE.

I happen to think that Ohuruogu was clumsy/unlucky to be caught up in the first wave of whereabouts misses as the system bedded in - a system which has since fundamentally changed due to flaws in place at the time, and now makes it much more unlikely for such misses to take place with the addition of both belt and braces.

She's not someone who has improved dramatically as an athlete which would arouse suspicion, and not someone who has set incredible times or produced out of the ordinary performances. Her successes if anything are down to tactical mistakes by other faster runners - Michael Johnson called the Olympic race to perfection in his preview when he predicted her win.

It's quite noticeable that there's never really been any whispers about her and drugs and she received the backing of notable campaigning anti-drug athletes in the sport who testified on her behalf.

She hasn't helped the public's perception of herself by her diffident character. And the hamstring gloss over is BBC madness.
  • And the hamstring gloss over is BBC madness.

Please (pedant alert), ITV madness.
  • She's an MBE not a CBE.

I happen to think that Ohuruogu was clumsy/unlucky to be caught up in the first wave of whereabouts misses as the system bedded in - a system which has since fundamentally changed due to flaws in place at the time, and now makes it much more unlikely for such misses to take place with the addition of both belt and braces.

She's not someone who has improved dramatically as an athlete which would arouse suspicion, and not someone who has set incredible times or produced out of the ordinary performances. Her successes if anything are down to tactical mistakes by other faster runners - Michael Johnson called the Olympic race to perfection in his preview when he predicted her win.

It's quite noticeable that there's never really been any whispers about her and drugs and she received the backing of notable campaigning anti-drug athletes in the sport who testified on her behalf.

She hasn't helped the public's perception of herself by her diffident character. And the hamstring gloss over is BBC madness.

Well said . If only for the fact that It's nice to know that your creditable charitable thoughts re. CO giving her the benefit of doubt might actually be right . But - churlish tack still - ought she be awarded , or even considered for a gong when there's still plenty of odium attached to her moniker ?

Still , let it rest . 'Nowt can be done now .
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    On New Years Eve, C4 had some crap comedy quiz of the year thing with Jimmy Carr, Dara O'Brain, that comedian bloke who thinks he's Michael Caine (OK so far), plus Claudia Winkelmann and Davina McCall (told you it was crap).

I wasn't paying much attention, none of us were, the telly was talking to itself in the corner, but then noticed Ohurogu and some boxer from the Olympics came on to ask one of the questions
    (what did Usain Bolt have for breakfast before setting his 100m world record ? Chicken nuggets. Told you it was a crap programme...)

Anyway, the two of them appeared in Team GB tracksuits with their gold medals round their necks and were given some piss-taking about not having changed for 6 months, having walked round without changing since Beijing, etc.
    They both grinned inanely but clearly couldn't think of any witty comebacks.

Then one of the comedians started on how London 2012 wasn't going to be very exotic, how the last Olympics had been to exciting and glamourous foreign cities like Sydney, Athens, Beijing, but that in 2012 the world would be coming to Britain, and what would we show them ? London's East End !

The lovely Christine is from Stratford herself isn't she ? She just carried on grinning...
  • She was also interviewed on Radio 4 news after the NY Honours announcement. To be fair, the interviewer attempted some mild grilling over the drug ban, but it was batted away with the "I want to put it all behind me" line.

Which is reasonable if her story is true (I'm a neutral on this). But, as mercsport implies, what is important is the message that this sends out (as with the Ferdinand case). The message is that PEDs are a side issue - unimportant.

In Ohuruogu's case the politics of it stink. She ticks all the boxes - track and field (always the headline act at the Olympics), our only gold medal at t&f and local. She'll be one of the main figureheads of the Olympics, which of course she shouldn't be, because PEDs have to be taken seriously.