What is all the fuss about?

2»

Comments

• Once you've had a car with this kind of box, you just don't want to go back...

Same here. We have got two automatic cars, one a daihatsu and one a mercedes. The daihatsu is a little irritating in that pickup can be a bit slow - but then it is used for commuting in London traffic by my wife who scarcely breaks 20 mph from one week to the next.

The mercedes is much better - has a 'sport' mode which improves things and can also use the manual feature if you want, but I never have.

There probably is some correlation between the free / fixed thing - as I do not see why you would want to change gears hundreds of time in a journey and end up with an aching left leg when you can arrive fresh and ready to ride your bike!

Therefore, fixed wheel cyclists and manual gear box drivers are all luddites!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    how does an auto make out in snow, mud or other low grip condition?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Northwind wrote:
    What's the realistic top speed of 47x17? Doesn't strike me as particularily high...

depends how fast you pedal and for how long currently I'm on 48X17 and I've got the beating of most on my commute... might give it a few weeks then head to 48X16
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    I find having a manual keeps me occupied and maybe keeps my mind a tiny bit more alert. Also, can you roar up to 50 in 2nd gear in an auto? 8)
  • alfablue wrote:
    how does an auto make out in snow, mud or other low grip condition?

susposed to be rather good, as the drive is continuous.
  • alex16zx wrote:
    I find having a manual keeps me occupied and maybe keeps my mind a tiny bit more alert. Also, can you roar up to 50 in 2nd gear in an auto? 8)

I don't know - I doubt it!

Anyway, don't think I ever did that in a manual.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    depends how fast you pedal and for how long currently I'm on 48X17 and I've got the beating of most on my commute... might give it a few weeks then head to 48X16

I'm thinking more of the gigantic hill on my commute... How fast would you say you can hit at peak, and as a comfortable steady pace?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    woodford2barbican -To be fair, most people probably don't! I think if you don't really like driving in the first place, or are just indifferent to it, an auto is better because it's easier, probably more fuel-efficient depending on your driving style as well. I enjoy driving quite a bit and having a manual lets me drive how I want to, and not be dictated to by the gearbox.