FINALLY Chosen my new steed Planet X

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
And it's a Planet xSL Pro Carbon - Dura Ace Build C18 Crazy Offer.

I can't believe I have not really taken this bike seriously up until now.

As you are probably too aware I have been going thought loads of different options but after narrowing down the field this one just stands out.

So i will be placing my order later today and will be counting down the days until it arrives.

A BIG THANKYOU to all of you who have help with advice over the past few months and i soon hope to be burning some serious rubber around Richmond Park in the not too distant future.

Cheers
Ryan

Comments

• Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Great work fella!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I just love my Planet-X, it is a pure joy to ride, and it goes up hills like a demon - you won't regret it!
  • NWLondoner
    Just hope the size is correct. I'm 6'1" with 84cm inside leg. Going for L
  • NWLondoner
    Fingers crossed i don't dump the bike. never ridden a racer before :shock: well apart from a tourer when i was 13 but that was yonks ago.
  • Did you for the 'FSA' build?
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    /ood choice on the bike. Check my sig for mine :D - I am sure you will be really happy with it and don't worry about dropping it I have already dropped mine and bent the gear hanger - no biggie though. Enjoy!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    P.s. As you say you will be making it down to Richmond Park - maybe see you there. Oh and why not come on a ride with us (see the latest RP training ride thread) we like our bikes and a good ride and always have newbies along who then can't get enough.
    Happy riding!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Fingers crossed i don't dump the bike. never ridden a racer before :shock: well apart from a tourer when i was 13 but that was yonks ago.
    You'll be fine. If anything, it will be more agile, with better braking and handling than your previous bikes.

Just remember to always ride within your limits and it will be fantastic!
  • NWLondoner
    felgen wrote:
    P.s. As you say you will be making it down to Richmond Park - maybe see you there. Oh and why not come on a ride with us (see the latest RP training ride thread) we like our bikes and a good ride and always have newbies along who then can't get enough.
    Happy riding!

what size frame is that?

also what height are you? that seatpost looks pretty aggressive
  • Got mine 2 months ago and love it :lol: Still can't believe how light it is.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Got my Planet-X SL Carbon a couple of weeks ago....absolutely love it. Nice and light, looks good and a very good price with good components. I got a large and I'm 6'1" (not sure what my inside leg is) and it seems to fit me fine.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • NWLondoner
    Think I will make it more bling with pro race 3 in digital blue/black tyres
  • felgen
    NWLondoner wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Happy riding!

what size frame is that?
    Its an XL-I am 6'3"
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The bike was pretty much straight out of the box with only the wheels changed to Airlines when I took that picture, so don't read too much into the setup. The stem is turned over now, the saddle dropped a little and re-spaced. either way I have played around with it to make it comfortable, so I am pretty happy with it now.

Also Pro Race 3's are on my bike now, and I do like them and they are noticeably better in terms of grip and something like 300 grams lighter than the factory supplied tyres!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    A great bike, have been trying to think of a reason to buy it. Problem is i already have a race commute, a full carbon race a Columbus sl and a town bike. Can anybody give me a reason to buy this bike. It,s a cracker. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    felgen wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    felgen wrote:
    Happy riding!

what size frame is that?
    Its an XL-I am 6'3"
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The bike was pretty much straight out of the box with only the wheels changed to Airlines when I took that picture, so don't read too much into the setup. The stem is turned over now, the saddle dropped a little and re-spaced. either way I have played around with it to make it comfortable, so I am pretty happy with it now.

Also Pro Race 3's are on my bike now, and I do like them and they are noticeably better in terms of grip and something like 300 grams lighter than the factory supplied tyres!

Loving those Airline wheels fella, what made you go for them and how much do they weigh?
  • NWLondoner
    My orders just been place and accepted :-)

Next week is going to be a long week!!!!!
  • I'm 6'2'' and I ride an XL.

It's a great bike for the money and I've had mine almost a year. :D

I just wish I had more time so I could ride it more, I mainly use it for commuting.

FCN : 4
  • felgen
    NWlondoner - they do attract a lot of attention and admiring glances which is not the reason I got them. I was looking for something with a compatible colour scheme which they match the black and silver of the frame and also they had a reputation for being strong (well they were said to be strong by the guys at kinetic one) I tend to agree with this as I was 100kg + when I started riding but I am now 94kg- the wheels are still true after 650 miles. As for weight I think they come in at about 1800g so not the lightest but pretty cheap at 130 quid or so. I am happy with them, but my next potential purchase is a set of Dalkiia SixZeros and there isn't much information on those either
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen wrote:

Any major reason for not sticking with the original model B wheels? :shock:
  • felgen
    dazzawazza wrote:
    Any major reason for not sticking with the original model B wheels? :shock:

My main reason was my weight at the time I got the bike. I had my doubts about how the model B's would stand up to my then 105kgs of weight

I suppose its a moot point now as I am a relatively lithe 93kg - but either way the Airlines did the job and remain true.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • I've finally found some time to build my PX and have a couple of numpty questions? :wink:

1)I'm used to installing Octalink or Square Taper bottom brackets. I’ve had no problem installing the FSA external BB, using a torque wrench of course; however I'm finding that the cranks don't move as freely as the other systems. With the other BBs the cranks / pedals will drop if released from a horizontal position, but with the external FSA they just stay horizontal. Is this normal for these BBs when newly installed?

2)The Tektro brakes came with two aluminium washers each to position between where the brake contacts the bike frame. Are two necessary? My other bike has only one washer.

Cheers
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    1) - the hollowtechII / FSA external BB does feel tight on first fit - I thought that the first time I went to install HT2 and wondered if I had cocked it up as it didn't spin very much as you have described - but on removing it a few months later it was really free-spinning - I think they maybe just need a few miles to bed the bearings in or something.

2) - not sure about this - i think I have used two on other frames - not sure if there is a reason for them though
  • Was thinking of buying one of these, but I'm a little worried about the ride position. I want it for long rides and sportives, so think it might be a little aggresive. Am considering the Planet X Ti Sportive instead. Any thoughts.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have an SL Carbon in medium, I'm 5'9", it has a 110mm stem in the upward position with 3cm of spacers beneath it. The position is really good, as good as my audax bike, and I find it really comfortable. Flipping the stem and losing the spacers would make a big difference, so as supplied I think there is quite a lot of flexibility with position.
  • NWLondoner
    Well it finally arrives this Saturday so i'll see how comfy it is.

I too want it for long rides but from what i hear it is comfortable for that once you fiddle around with adjustments.
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    Make sure you get some pictures up of your new pride and joy :wink:
  • Please post your thoughts on comfort once you've been out...and don't forgrt the pictures!
  • NWLondoner
    Already got my camera batteries charged to take pictures :lol:

I plan to do a 5 mile test ride on the Saturday just to check that it all works etc. I then have to do a long ride on my current bike as I need to do a proper ride with my SPD's to ensure I am 100% comfortable with them before risking them on my planet x.

I will then kit my planet x up on Saturday evening and take it for a long ride on Sunday morning, so will hopefully be able to report and post the pic's Sunday afternoon.

So if you see a planet x around Richmond Park with Pro Race 3 Digital Blue tyres that will be me. Don't get too p*ssed if i hold you up as i will be coming from a triple and trying to get used to a compact 50/34 - 12-25

:oops:
  • Feedback on the compact chainset would be usefull as well. I'm currently running a triple to provide security on my rides in the Alps and Pyrenees, nervous about a compact for that.
  • felgen
    I think the compact on my planet X is fine. I have only spun it out once, which happened on a steep descent with me giving it some, but there are enough gears for me (and most mere mortals), though I do run a 12-25. You can just vary your rear casette to get some flexibility in ratios and I am sure with a 34x27 you could get up most stuff. I was a complete road newbie before I got mine and didn't know anything about FSA as a brand before having the bike. In fact I am pretty happy with all the FSA stuff to be honest and I will probably just stay with it if I ever want to go up to a 39-53 especially as FSA do a nice carbon version :D

Sorry I didn't spot the questions about the Mega Exo cranks when newly fitted not being smooth - mine were like this too, but sintered out nicely after a couple of hundred miles so they are nice and free spinning now.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB