Specialized Roval Traversée?

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
Anyone tried the above? I was pondering saving up for either these or a set of Flows on XTR for my Meta.

I'm a little concerned about the Traversee, I wouldn't normally class 28/24 supercomp spoked, dt240 hubbed wheels as being all mountain particually. They're amazinig value though, way lighter than any Pro II wheelset, Crossmax ST etc. I guess I'd get a warranty should it be bad.

The XTR and Stans with 32x DT Comp spokes is a bit of a no brainer, it's also quite a bit heavier (150-200g) and no cheaper.

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I'm busy saving for some Roval controle xc's (maybe sl's), not sure on warranty of hopes etc, but spesh offer a limited lifetime warranty on their roval wheelsets. Reviews suggest they are more than up to AM riding.
  • toasty
    Yeah, the big mag reviews of the Traversee all love them but say they're a bit flexy, MTBR user reviews seem quite a bit lower but then they're a fickle lot. I'm just wondering how "all mountain" they are, the raw components they're made of seem more like race-xc bits (aside from the wide rim).
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    It all depends on your riding, at tester may ride a lot harder/aggressive than you normally would to test the product til failure sometimes, you may or may not ever reach that level. Ive used jump/hardcore wheels on previous bikes and bent them in half, ride xc/am now using mavic crosslands and have yet to bend them more than a couple of mm...Every rider is different.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I bought a pair from Freeborn for £359 - is that where you're looking?

Haven't got them on the bike yet, but very impressed with the light weight and build quality.

Intend using them as "trail" rather than "all mountain" wheels myself, though they might get a run out ion the 575 if they seem good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i want a set for my enduro as they are available with the 25mm axle. for the money, weight and guarantee, they look like they cant be beat.
  • toasty
    They'd be on a Meta, it'd usually be trail riding but I wouldn't mind the option of taking the odd black grade drop or small freeride session over a couple of smaller jumps. I'm sure they'll be strong enough.

They might even be taken for a marathon race or two in the summer, my Stumpy is probably more logical, the Commencal is so comfy though!
  • toasty
    Have you had chance to try them just out of interest Chaka?

Real shame they don't support Fox's new QR15 axle, especially given it'd be ideal for light trail/am wheels. Still, can't have everything I guess :? I'd most likely use standard QR as I don't want the extra bulk from a set of Pikes of Fox 36 (using Fox Float 32s atm).
  • Chaka Ping
    Yes, I've been out twice and they've had more of a test than I expected because the ground is frozen so hard - it's like riding on rock instead of mud.

Put them on my Handjob with my new Reba w/maxle - with Bontrager Mud X tyres.

Immediately the bike accelerates a lot quicker - as you'd expect from such a light wheelset - and it's easier to hold speed too (though the hard ground helps).

I had a ride with the Reba and some XT/DT 5.1 wheels previously and the Rovals *might* feel marginally less stiff - but I certainly don't find it any more difficult to hold a line.

Nothing has phased them at all - and I've been bashing into frozen mud "rock gardens" at a fair old clip.

Bear in mind I'm not a heavy rider (or particularly clumsy), but I'd have no hesitation sticking them on a Meta if I had one.

BTW, I'm sure I read that the 2009 wheels come with 15mm end caps for Fox compatibility. I bet you'll be able to get them as extras soon.
  • Not sure if this is relevant to the wheels you're talking about, but it would seem Stan's not too happy with Spesh at the moment....

http://www.notubes.com/newsdesk_info.php/newsdesk_id/87?osCsid=fa9ccfaeff22f401eda452b3bb841b28
  • toasty
    Oh, good news on the axle note, I might speak to Freeborn and see if they can get those ones. I don't really want a bulkier fork or jumping from a Fox Float 140 to a Revelation as the Fox is working perfectly.

The rear wheel is standard QR only?
  • toasty
    Not sure if this is relevant to the wheels you're talking about, but it would seem Stan's not too happy with Spesh at the moment....

http://www.notubes.com/newsdesk_info.php/newsdesk_id/87?osCsid=fa9ccfaeff22f401eda452b3bb841b28

I better snap some up quick then :? hehe.
  • Chaka Ping
    Yes, rear is QR only.