Inner Tube Weights

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Hey there,

I'm not obsessed with the weight of my bike, but if I can shed weight then I will.

My question is: would one of these 70g Michelin Aircomp Ultralight Inner Tubes be more puncture prone than my Specialized tubes which weight 105g. This is assuming I'm running >100 PSI with 'decent' tyres and on country lanes.

You see, I need some new tubes, and it would make sense to buy the lighter ones for the same price.

Cheers
Pedro
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Keep the lightweight tubes for racing - they are less puncture resistant IME. For the sake of 100g it's too much hassle
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yeah, you're probably right. The Specialized tubes haven't let me down yet. I doubt I would notice a few grams anyway.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • If you need new tubes anyway the Michelin A1s you highlighted are 72g for short valve and very reliable. Lighter than this they start to get flaky but it's the cheapest weight saving you'll make. Not that 66g is a big deal but you might as well... A1s are very cheap on Parkers normally.
  • continental do a supersonic tube that weighs in at 50 gramms with short valves
  • continental do a supersonic tube that weighs in at 50 gramms with short valves
    Yep - those were the lighter and significantly more puncture prone ones I was referring to... Seems the additional 20g is a step too far in compromised function.
  • It seems that I was looking at 650c tubes instead of 700c. It seemed to be too good a price.

These Vittoria tubes are 80g each and a reasonable price.

That's a saving of 25g per tube. But I always carry a spare, so that's 75g saved, which means I could carry 2 spare tubes at a cost of only 5g. That's good going!

Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Those vittoria tubes are significantly cheaper at Riblle (or at least they were before christmas).
  • I just had a look. You're right. They're £2.60 at Ribble. But postage is £2.95

It works out more or less the same in the end.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    SCR Pedro wrote:

That's a saving of 25g per tube. But I always carry a spare, so that's 75g saved, which means I could carry 2 spare tubes at a cost of only 5g. That's good going!

pedro - seriously, you need to get out more... ;)
  • I just had a look. You're right. They're £2.60 at Ribble. But postage is £2.95

It works out more or less the same in the end.

I got them with free postage with the deal they had on. :D