Jacket - money no object

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Replacing an old jacket (a lower range Gore Windproof).
Any advice on a new one. Cost is not an issue (owed some presents).

Needs to be windproof. Can it be warm and packup into a jersey pocket?

thanks
exercise.png

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gore Xenon
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well all quite a bit bulky but money no object then you have quite a choice.

Assos 851 Airjack (superb)
    Rapha lightweight softshell
    Castelli Espresso
    Castelli Insolito Radiation

All windproof but not waterproof.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Well all quite a bit bulky but money no object then you have quite a choice.

Assos 851 Airjack (superb)
    Rapha lightweight softshell
    Castelli Espresso
    Castelli Insolito Radiation

All windproof but not waterproof.

Giant mans list are what all the other threads have agreed on. They are all great jackets. I have the Assos 851 and it is superb.
    Brian B.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The one that probably folds up smallest would be the Castelli Radiation - you can take the reflective liner out too. I have an Espresso - has a little bit more insulation than a shell jacket - you'd need a big pocket to stuff it in and an even bigger one for the Assos, which I've had also. The Rapha is pretty thin - doesn't feel like it has any insulation at all. The Assos isn't windproof all over and can be cold if you stop for a while. A decent windstopper softshell jacket with vents would be my choice - the warmest jacket I have is a Gore Tool - 5 pockets and the requisite pit-zips for ventilation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • If I could afford one it would be the Assos Fugu, no question about it , my mate has one and only has to wear a long sleeved helly under it even on arctic days.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If I could afford one it would be the Assos Fugu, no question about it , my mate has one and only has to wear a long sleeved helly under it even on arctic days.

The Fugu is too warm most of the time though. My 851 is plenty warm enough with a baselayer for 99% of the UK winter.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Just bought the Gore Phantom. It's brilliant, but it wouldn't pack up.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • assos 851 superb but wont fold up
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    As already mentioned, Assos 851 for the weather we're having at the moment. It doesn't fold up but if it's cold enough to put it on first thing it's unlikely to warm up enough to take it off. I wear mine with a single base layer from current temps upto 8-10 degrees.

If you want soemthing for spring/autumn temps however where it can warm up the Assos Intermediate if also very good, and packs up easily into a rear pocket. I find that the 851, Intermediate, and Element Zero Gilet in various combinations pretty much covers me for all temperatures.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    You need to be more specific about the use to which you'll put the jacket, in order to get a accurate recommendation

Some good ones mentioned here-and as Slow Downcp says, it's a variety of jackets to cover a range of conditions

One jacket that goes with me pretty much everywhere, but only gets used rarely, is the Montane H2O. It sits in my jersey/jacket pocket as a last resort wet weather/caught out option. I will put it on for the start of rides in v cold weather. Rolls up to the size of a tennis ball

Most of the time here in the temperate SW, I use an Assos Intermediate, or a windtex fronted Nalini jacket-with a variety of base layers
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Well, for this morning's ride I'll be wearing most of my winter wardrobe together - looks like it's a baselayer, a Briko roubaix midlayer followed by my Espresso or Gore Tool! Fortunately it'll be 2-3 hrs steady with a cafe stop, so won't get too cooked on the hills.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    thanks for the replies.

The main use will be winter riding (probably -3 to +8). so maybe pack into a pocket shouldn't be a concern. I have a very light Montane for the summer and a warm gillet for autumn.

So I think the Assos 851 Airjack could be the winner.
    exercise.png
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A vote for the Assos 851. It is not light and foldable but it is very good and you will get many years from it. Shop around and you can find some deals now.
  • wilwil
    wilwil Posts: 374
    TheStone wrote:
    thanks for the replies.

The main use will be winter riding (probably -3 to +8). so maybe pack into a pocket shouldn't be a concern. I have a very light Montane for the summer and a warm gillet for autumn.

So I think the Assos 851 Airjack could be the winner.

Rapha Softshell
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    hadn't really heard of them until som,eone from my club gave my one but SPIUK jackets are really good and you can get too hot even when its -6 in anything more thean one jersey but I don't know its proper name without searching
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    The Rapha Softshell is my choice (not the lightweight one), it works in nearly all seasons.
    Complicating matters since 1965