6 Speed Rear Wheel or other solution?

Slow Downcp
Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Looking to rebuild my old Raleigh Triathlon - been used as fixed for last few years, but want to put gears back on for commuting and turbo use. Groupset is an old 6 speed Shimano 105 with downtube shifters which I'm happy to use for the commute but would rather use a turbo tyre indoors. Don't fancy swapping the tyre every time - anyone know where I could get a (cheap) 6 speed wheel (I have a spare cassette) so I can just swap the wheel over. Or is there any other way round it that hasn't occurred to me? (Other than just use the standard road tyre)
Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Is it a cassette that you have or a freewheel? If it's a cassette, you can just run a pair of spacers before the cassette, 2 of these. They're designed to take up the space occupied by the extra cog on an 8 speed cassette, allowing a 7 speed cassette to be fitted on an 8/9/10 body. As the cog widths and spacings on 6 and 7 speed are identical, using 2 spacers will take up the required space.

If it's a freewheel, I'm sure Daves/Grahams/Russell will have a 700c wheel with a threaded hub lying about somewhere.
  • Slow Downcp
    Cheers - it is a cassette, so spacers are an option I guess. I'd still need to buy a new rear wheel to suit though - any suggestions? All my other wheels are Campag.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Slow Downcp
    Scrub that last comment - just remembered why I need a 6 speed hub. As it's an old frame it has different spacing, so a 7/8/9 speed hub won't fit. I did try with a Campag 8 speed wheel and the stays wouldn't give enough to fit the wheel. Doesn't justify the expense of resetting either. Guess if I can't get my hands on an old 6 speed wheel, then I'll just run normal tyre on the turbo. (Probably won';t use the turbo that much as it bores me, but good to have the option when the weather is as it is today)
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    A new screw on rear is cheap enough and would I assume take a 6 and be 126oln e.g. on th'bay:

700c Alloy Q/R Hybrid Bike REAR Wheel Screw On TWR100
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    6 Speed casettes have different splines to 7+ cassettes. 6 speed were called uniglide whereas 7+ are known as hyperglide. Looking at Sheldons world on knowledge 6 speed had equal splines and 7s had equal plus a wide gap

k7hub-3-styles.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Scrub that last comment - just remembered why I need a 6 speed hub. As it's an old frame it has different spacing, so a 7/8/9 speed hub won't fit. I did try with a Campag 8 speed wheel and the stays wouldn't give enough to fit the wheel. Doesn't justify the expense of resetting either. Guess if I can't get my hands on an old 6 speed wheel, then I'll just run normal tyre on the turbo. (Probably won';t use the turbo that much as it bores me, but good to have the option when the weather is as it is today)

OK, you may be able to get away with a 7 speed cassette wheel & 7 speed cassette on a frame designed for a 6 speed if the frame is steel.

6 speed rans with a 126mm axle, 7's with a 130. But if the frame is steel there will probably be enough flex to allow a 130mm axle to spring into the frame.

Also becuase the specing on a 6 or 7 speed cassette is wider than 8/9/10/11 they are way more tolerant of crap set ups, so if you fitted a 7 speed wheel & cassette to your bike, for indoor training you'd have useless indexing, yes, but a number of usable gears that would meet the need of indoor training. I ran an old GT mountain bike for a while on a 7 speed cassette wheel even though the old thumbies fitted to it were only 6 speed. I just biodged the indexing to give me 5 usuable gears, one dodgy one, one unusable sprocket and it did the job. I'd imaging for turbo training the need for precise indexing may be even less.