So whats up with me bike now?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2009 in Workshop
Hi.

New day, new problem! :lol:

Basically I thought there was a crank problem, but on later inspection it seems it may actually be the rear mech, the jockey wheels to be precise, they seem to be slanted to the point the chain sometimes/most of the time is in contact with the metal cage, is it supposed to be like that?

Here is a pic I took from a site and put an arrow on to show you where I mean, could not get a pic of my bike.

Capture.png

Basically the wheel the arrow is pointing at is not straight and is causing the chain to come into constant contact with the metal cage.

Bearings worn? No cog needed?

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    When you look at the bike from the back is the rear mech angled inwards like in the picture?

DAG03.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Pirahna wrote:
    When you look at the bike from the back is the rear mech angled inwards like in the picture?

DAG03.jpg

No, my dad was looking at it though from that angle, except bike upside down and he said it looks slightly bent, but I could not see a bend, maybe the cage bit is slightly too wide or something but I could not see any problem really.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    There is supposed to float in the top jockey wheel but not the bottom. If it is not sitting straight, I'd guess either the hanger is bent forcing it over to keep the correct chainline or the jockey wheel needs replacing.
  • Anonymous
    edited December 2008
    -Liam- wrote:
    There is supposed to float in the top jockey wheel but not the bottom. If it is not sitting straight, I'd guess either the hanger is bent forcing it over to keep the correct chainline or the jockey wheel needs replacing.

Both of them has movement in.

Is it easy to replace a jockey wheel? I'll just go get some unless I could go to where I got the bike and get it done under 1year warranty.

Both of the jockey wheels, the lowest one when the bike is upright, has lots of movement in, you can move it 5mm+ to the side, and when I change gear it squeaks even though I've oiled it.

In the mean time would you think it would be ok to do a longish ride befire I fix it (70-80miles), I was planning on doing a ride tomorrow but I wont be able to fix it in time so if it will cause bad damage if I do I wont bother going on the ride.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Why not pop the bottom jockey wheel out and make sure it's OK.

Drop the chain off the front of the bike to make everything slack and undo the bolt holding the jockey. When you pop the jockey out you should have four bits, the plastic wheel, 2 metal dust caps and a plain metal bearing.

919-3181-main-web_028-14.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Damn I learned something tonight, when ever I clean my bike, I will remove the jockey wheels and clean them, after doing so my transmission is SOOOO mich smoother and quieter!, I'm happy I did it.

I'm confident after taking em both off it will last for tomorrow but it is clear they are worn, they wobble too much especially the one nearer the cassette, I think those round metal caps have basically dug away at the plastic or something, but I put some WD40 on em aswell, they clean now too.

Both of the wheels appear to have side to side movement though.

:D
  • My drivetrain makes alot of noise, would cleaning the pulleys make a big difference in the amount of noise it makes?
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Anonymous
    doobie919 wrote:
    My drivetrain makes alot of noise, would cleaning the pulleys make a big difference in the amount of noise it makes?

From experience here I'd now clean the jockey wheels, the Cassette, use Muc Off on the chain and properly clean it, spray the jockey wheels with WD40, use propor lube on the chain and cassette.

I also clean the front chainrings as well.

Check your chain/cassette is not worn, this causes allot of noise too.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    doobie919 wrote:
    My drivetrain makes alot of noise, would cleaning the pulleys make a big difference in the amount of noise it makes?

realistically, that all depends on if the noise is coming from the pulleys or not. If it isn't, then cleaning them will be largely a waste of time...
  • Anonymous
    softlad wrote:
    doobie919 wrote:

realistically, that all depends on if the noise is coming from the pulleys or not. If it isn't, then cleaning them will be largely a waste of time...

It's worth a try and from what I've heard cleaning anything on the bike is not a waste of time, well you can leave it dirty to wear out quicker guess..
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I wasn't implying that he shouldn't do it - just that it would make more sense to actually locate the source of the noise before pulling apart the jockey wheels...
  • Anonymous
    softlad wrote:
    I wasn't implying that he shouldn't do it - just that it would make more sense to actually locate the source of the noise before pulling apart the jockey wheels...

Well I know that.

jockey wheels are super easy to remove though and install again, nothing to it.
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm, I did not grease the jockey wheels, I just put WD40 on em, should I quickly take em off again tomoz and stick some grease on? I have this Lithium grease stuff, seems to be fine.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I think the Park tools site specifically says not to use grease, use light oil!
  • Anonymous
    Nickwill wrote:
    I think the Park tools site specifically says not to use grease, use light oil!

WD40 is light oil right? :D, if so, then great no need to take apart yet :D