Sir Chris Hoy

Comments

• I'm usually the last one to champion womens' sports, but I'd prefer to see Nicole Cooke recognised for her achievements than Chris Hoy.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Both worthy I'd say, but Chris is higher profile which is why he'll probably get it
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Absolutely not worthy imo. A knighthood is the ultimate in public honours and I think that unless it is an achievement beyond the realms of simply a great achievement in a sporting sence, a sportsman should never qualify.

I'd agree that the likes of Steven Redgrave are deserving given the the time frame involved in his sporting achievements.

Success at one olympics does not deserve a knighthood. There are other honours (obe's, mbe's etc) that are more suitable.

Chris Hoy, come back after a further 2 or 3 olympics with a few more golds and I might agree.
  • colint
    this is the 2nd Olympics he's won gold at, he's also world champion, world record holder etc etc

4 Times Olympic Champion
    Olympic Games Silver
    Olympic Games Team Sprint Record
    World Best Team Sprint Record
    Olympic Games 200m FS Record Holder
    Olympic Games Kilo Record Holder
    Sea-level World Kilo Record Holder
    World Record Holder 500m FS
    9 Times World Champion
    5 World Silver
    4 World Bronze
    2 Times Commonwealth Champion
    2 Commonwealth Games Bronze
    Commonwealth Games Kilo Record Holder
    Commonwealth Games Team Sprint Record Holder
    26 World Cup Golds
    10 World Cup Silver
    4 World Cup Bronze
    European Champion
    International Japanese Keirin Champion, 2007
    4 Times Emirates Lonsdale Trophy winner,
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I can't believe that anyone, especially cyclists, are decrying this honour. The joy he brought to this country was immeasurable to cyclists, as well people not so interested in cycling (as proven by SPOTY and by conversations I've had with non cyclists). The other important factor, in my opinion, is that he is an immensely likeable, genuine and humble man who will serve the sport well for many years to come.

PS. Anyone heard any bells yet or hooves yet!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Chris as a 'Sir' will be an immense coup for the sport of cycling.

A genuine, honest examplar for the sport and a superb role model for youngsters.

Most important, his achievements come from hard work, discipline and a genuine love for the sport.

Salut Chris - well earned and much deserved if the rumour proves true.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf wrote:
    Chris as a 'Sir' will be an immense coup for the sport of cycling.

A genuine, honest examplar for the sport and a superb role model for youngsters.

Most important, his achievements come from hard work, discipline and a genuine love for the sport.

Salut Chris - well earned and much deserved if the rumour proves true.

+1

Nice guy too!

Cheers, Andy
  • colint
    He does seem to be a genuinely good lad

Hoy's response when asked to comment on what he thinks of himself. He said: "I think when Chris Hoy starts referring to Chris Hoy in the third person that's when Chris Hoy has disappeared up his own a***. It's the most cringe worthy thing to hear and I hope I never do it.

"I've said it before, it's not just my medal. I'm the person who stepped up on the podium but there are 20 or 30 people from my life without whom this wouldn't have been possible.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • In times past , a sporting knighthood used to be dished out AFTER a distinguished sporting career is over .

With this proposed honorific will not Chris Hoy be handicapped and weighted by the BURDEN of expectation with him to the 2012 games ?

We all know that Chris has a good head on him but perhaps , like an extra ounce of flab , it can have only , I feel , a negative effect in the winning / losing business .

But , if it has to be , then let it be . Good lad ! :D
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • kosta
    kosta Posts: 50
    Nicole Cooke is my star :)

Check Chris Hoy's time up Alpe d' Huez , he done l'etape 2006, Gap-Alpe d' Huez , not a great time , unfortunately :(
  • kosta wrote:

Check Chris Hoy's time up Alpe d' Huez , he done l'etape 2006, Gap-Alpe d' Huez , not a great time , unfortunately :(

Hi there.

Sheryl Crow's time up Alpe d'Huez wasn't earth shattering either, but I don't think that affected her singing career too badly!

Cheers, Andy
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    kosta wrote:
    Nicole Cooke is my star :)

Given the size of the big fella and the specific training he puts in i wouldnt have expected anything else.

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • johndf
    johndf Posts: 250
    So he really is Sir Chris now. What a fantastic end to a fantastic year!
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    johndf wrote:
    So he really is Sir Chris now. What a fantastic end to a fantastic year!

hear hear
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    after decades of a lack of recognition for cycling as a whole in the UK this is a good thing.

Also, he's the first UK athlete in years to win 3 golds at one games
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Well done Chris Hoy .

I do think though that the knighthood ought to have been awarded after he'd retired - whenever that may be .

More , importantly - and I scrolled through the list of worthies , chancers and greasy pole climbers - I see no mention of Nicole Cooke , who is equally worthy for a Damehood IMO . On a 'proper bike' and on the the road - where it matters most . And yet a smirking self regarding cheat -Christine Ohuorugu - gets awarded a gong for , on the face of it , barefaced lying . Lie often enough and long enough and you'll end up believing it yourself . Seems to have worked .

Anyhow , whither Nicole ? Or did my eyes glaze over in trawling the list that I missed her ? I hope so .
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Though it's hard to find her mentioned in some of the press reports, Nicole like the rest of the Olympic cyclists who won gold picked up an MBE.

Knighthood
    Chris Hoy

CBE
    Dave Brailsford, Bradley Wiggins

MBE
    Nicole Cooke, Victoria Pendleton, Ed Clancy, Jamie Staff, Rebecca Romero, Jason Kenny, Geraint Thomas, Paul Manning
  • Though it's hard to find her mentioned in some of the press reports, Nicole like the rest of the Olympic cyclists who won gold picked up an MBE.

Knighthood
    Chris Hoy

CBE

MBE
    Nicole Cooke, Victoria Pendleton, Ed Clancy, Jamie Staff, Rebecca Romero, Jason Kenny, Geraint Thomas, Paul Manning

Ah ! There she is . Wonderful . :D

Thanks for putting it all in order . Yes , it was underreported , and they all seemed to have got something .

On reflection , I would have thought Dave Brailsford ought to have been up for a knighthood .
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    An interesting interview with Sir C A Hoy here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2 ... d_ups.html

click the Video to play..5 minutes of insightful reaction to life post Beijng and the Knighthood, so richly deserved.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    At last some real recognition for some brilliant cyclists and still we get some other bikeradar members moaning about it!

With all the recent cash for honours disclosures its great to see our sports people - and their mums :D - being recognised rather than just some bent business person or dodgy politician!

If you want to have a moan about honours being awarded to sports people then why not have a go where it's actually deserved - Christine Ohurougu.
  • Though it's hard to find her mentioned in some of the press reports, Nicole like the rest of the Olympic cyclists who won gold picked up an MBE.

Knighthood
    Chris Hoy

CBE

MBE

Spot the missing massively successful British cyclist... The forgotten man :wink:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Our man Cav........

I doubt if winning a green jersey will be enough to get him a royal gong.

He will need a gold medal I suspect. :cry:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Well Cooke had to win a gold medal to get the smallest of honours despite her other massive achievements on the road prior to this season, so Cav was never likely to feature.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Remember the ill conceived poll on which was the crappy event to win a gold at during the Olympics days after Hoy won 3, and some comments about how road is better than track etc basically putting down certain track events within hours of Hoy winning them...nice touch lads! I noticed you never posted about the great news of funding increases... Well... allow me...how about thanks to Sir Chris Hoy to a large extent and the others...funding massively increased!

http://road.cc/content/news/1497-britis ... rass-roots
  • -Liam- wrote:
    Absolutely not worthy imo. A knighthood is the ultimate in public honours and I think that unless it is an achievement beyond the realms of simply a great achievement in a sporting sence, a sportsman should never qualify.

I'd agree that the likes of Steven Redgrave are deserving given the the time frame involved in his sporting achievements.

Success at one olympics does not deserve a knighthood. There are other honours (obe's, mbe's etc) that are more suitable.

Chris Hoy, come back after a further 2 or 3 olympics with a few more golds and I might agree.

Totally agree.....
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    -Liam- wrote:

Totally agree.....

pair of miserable tw@s
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • -Liam- wrote:

Why? Because we have an opinion?
    The guy is undoubtably a national hero and i found myself on all three occasions that he one jumping up and down in my front room as he came home, but I don't believe that he deserves a knighthood just yet. My opinion, if I'm allowed....
    Totally agree.....

pair of miserable tw@s
  • -Liam- wrote:

Why? Because we have an opinion?
    The guy is undoubtably a national hero and i found myself on all three occasions that he one jumping up and down in my front room as he came home, but I don't believe that he deserves a knighthood just yet. My opinion, if I'm allowed....
    Totally agree.....

FFS you cant even spell WON - how can you criticise someone with the talent to do it at two Olympics in different disciplines. Armchair bloody athletes.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I'm astonished that some people have a downer on Hoy's knighthood. A cyclist and by asscoiation cycling gets high profile recognition, it has to be good.

The current boom in British cycling - mostly track, but it's clearly extended to the road - has a lot to do with Hoy. He was there representing GB when they didn't have two coins to rub together. Read "Heroes, Villans and Veledromes" for an understanding as to why he is as great as Redgrave and Pinsnet.

I was privilidged to be in the Laoshan velodrome to see Chris win his Keirin gold. I was right up front next to the track. After his semi-final I shouted out "Well done Chris" - he waved and said thank you. When he won he came and got a flag from the guy next to me. He asked politely and even though he later dropped it, he made sure it got back to its owner.

Basically he's clearly a great bloke who is one of our greatest ever sportsmen. By contrast knighthoods are given out to all sorts of political scumbags and people who stump up some cash for the government.

In summary, I have a higher opinion of Chris Hoy than any male road cyclist.

(PS. If you think that the award should have been delayed until he retired, (like almost every other sportsman) then I probably agree with you.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    stunned by reading of the 1 or 2 ignoramuses who are now saying Hoy didn't deserve it. Lock f**cking trolls out pls mods. Hoy deserves respect not troll arse@!#*s embarssing BR