Trek 8000 WSD

Ivan.c
Ivan.c Posts: 13
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Can anybody help me?! Please!

I am looking to buy a 2009 Trek 8000 WSD or Trek 8500 but have been unable to find any dealer that has any in stock.
I need to see the bike first before I buy, but all dealers I have spoken to are willing to order it providing I will committ to buying!

It seems that many shops do not stock the higher end hardtails but being new to Trek I really don't want to go ahead and order one without trying it first.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any ideas as to how I can get round this?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shops used to do 'sale or return' with the supplier.

Very annoying this, as Trek have decided that they will only supply bikes through dealers and not online anymore (or will not honour warranty of online bought goods). having to buy before you see at a dealer limits things further. Quite poor.
  • Ivan.c
    Thanks for your reply.

Is it just Trek that are doing this? Will any shop be prepared to do a 'sale or return' with the suppliers? Am I going to find a problem finding a shop with any high end WSD hardtails.

It seems mad that I have the money and want to buy one of their bikes.....but yet can't see one!
  • supersonic
    This is the point of LBS really, to try out the wares! (even if they do cost more than online).

I'd have a word with thee dealer see if they can do this. Every shop I have worked at gets big deliveries once as week on a lorry from the supplier - we simply give back the bikes on this basis, so nil delivery charges to the shop, straight back to depot.
  • Ivan.c
    Thanks, that is helpful.

Those I have spoken to so far have not been too enthusiastic, but armed with your information I'll have another try! You would have thought it would be easier especially with the market the way it is!

Will let you know how I get on.
  • supersonic
    Good look! I find a big handful of crisp 20 pound notes sways them, especially when you tell them you will spend it elsewhere ;-)