Weighing Bikes?

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited January 2009 in Workshop
What is the best way? I have up untill now stood on the scales, pressed the 'tear' button, then lifted my bike. I am not sure how accurate this is though because I have taken quite a bit of weight off my bike recently (tested on smaller scales for individual upgrades) but still comes out at what it did originally using the above method!

Is there another more accurate way of doing this?

Comments

• Hi there.

If this is important to you, then it's likely to be important that you get it right to the nearest 0.1 of a kg or so. In which case do what I'd do and ask to use the digital scales at your local bike shop.

Remember that manufacturers usually quote the weight of their smallest frame without pedals, bottle cages, computers etc.

Cheers, Andy
  • Thanks Andy. I may well do that. I tend to weigh the comonants as I change them and keep a note at how much weight I have reduced. On my latest bike build I weighed all the componants on accurate kitchen scales before assembly! My best bike unfortunaly came assembled. Maybe it is a project for the winter to take it all apart :lol:
  • mathi
    mathi Posts: 110
    Afternoon gents , this topic is just up my street :lol:
    I am one of them sad weight addicts , some would say obsessed ( and yes i am always on a certain forum ww) .
    Park makes some good scales for bike weighing , and also a small kitchen style scale for small parts , but money no object i swear by New ultimates scales both the large and small version . They are very accurate but as said earlier , a little pricey if you can get hold of them :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You weight obsessives need to go to the weight weenies site - full of crazies over there....

You could get fishing scales - they should work for the bike ?
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    cougie wrote:
    You could get fishing scales - they should work for the bike ?
    That's what I was going to suggest.
  • Hi again.

The scales in my lbs looked a bit like these ultimate ones:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... mate_scale

The picture on the review gives me an idea... why not just wheel your bike into Tescos and surreptitiously stick it on the scales that you weigh your potatoes with?

Or on the other hand accept that it just doesn't matter...

Cheers, Andy
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    YOu can buy the Ultimate Alpine scales as already stated or Park do one model as well. However the Park's readout is somewhat smaller, so I would say the Ultimate is better. It's certainly served me well over the years.