Icy patch

jamespiggot
jamespiggot Posts: 69
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
Came off my bike turning a corner going really slow, guy in a car that was waiting at the cross-road opened his door to ask me if I was OK which was good of him, but felt a bit foolish. Rear drop-out snapped, gloves wrecked pus various grazes and bruises but I guess it was minor in the grand scheme of things. So beware, this was a busy junction in Bampton in Oxfordshire which you would think would be totally ice free. I was already leaning in to the turn at slow speed when it just went down, one minute you're enjoying your ride the next you're wondering how the hell you're going to get home with a sick bike.

Comments

• BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Sorry to hear that, James. Hope you're not too shaken.

We cycled through Bampton yesterday and were lucky not to have any problems.

Take it easy,
    Bry
  • Plenty more to come over the next few weeks, or maybe months, if the possibility of a winter like 62-3 does come to pass.
    I remember going on a clubrun many years ago, one lad fell off 4 times! :lol:
    He came off twice just cycling round Mansfield's market place, just waiting for the rest of us, once turning onto Blyth Road in Worksop, on a huge frozen puddle, so big you'd have thought that anyone could've seen it :roll: (Well, all 20 other club members saw it, but he didn't!) and another time under the arches leaving Clumber, I think about 10 came off there, you could feel your bike wiggle under you, so it was freewheel & pray time.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Hey, sorry to hear...

I too came off yesterday - Box Hill, Surrey. Hit an icy patch on the downhill - going to be modelling a few patches of road rash along with a collection of random bruises tonight for New Years.

Maybe we should get our Mountain Bikes out...?
  • .......funny one this morning it was totally freezing but no frost or ice.
    All of us had two pairs of gloves on but we were all suffering, cafe stop was nice at Barnard Castle though real fire and nice tucker! :)

\anyone know of real good gloves?
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Dam cold on the A6 up to Bakewell ,Some ice about ,stayed upright. :) Gloves are not a problem with me ,just my toes.Hot aches when I got home :x
    bagpuss
  • Deffo time for the MTBs - much safer if you're gonna have a spil for it to be on the splodgy stuff I reckon. Sure, speeds may be down but you can still work on your cadence spinning lower gears and proper bike control negotiating roots, mudpools etc.

I've been having a blast on the trails this week - g/f suggests I replace my '03 Spesh Enduro with an FSRxc/Stumpjumper FSR too - sweet!
  • It's not splodgy here, all of our splodge is frozen as hard as concrete!
    I reckon that the lack of frost, is because the air's been dried out after the days of sub-zero temps we've had.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hope it stays dry tonight as it is forecast for -1'C for 6am tomorrow when i go training 8)
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Got out again today. 50 miles covered.A grand total of 160 since 29/12/08 .Starting to shift a bit of lard :oops:Having said that I do not suppose lunch at my local did me any favors at the end of my ride,but £1.50 for sausage ,egg ,chips and beans takes some beating . :roll: Back to work tomorrow :evil: .
    bagpuss