I've rediscovered MTBs!

wastelander
wastelander Posts: 557
edited December 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Hi all,

after a couple of years away on road bikes I've been taking advantage of an empty office - this means no-one to complain about a ruddy great muddy earthy smelling Enduro Comp mkII propped up against he stationery cupboard! - and have been having a whale of a time belting to work along the Dove Valley Trail (part of the TPT).

Not only that, but the MiNewt x2 Duals do a splendid job of illuminating said Dove Valley Trail on my commute home (night time off road riding...what a hoot!)

Now I'm not saying that I will see the error of my ways and turn my back on the roads, but I will definitely be spending more time on the trails in 2009 8)

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Road cycling is not fun unless you're racing. It's monotonous and borring.

But mountainbiking is always fun, if you're racing or not.
    Plus when you upgrade things on a MTB you can feel bigger
    difference than on a road one. (I suppose, never ridden one :? )

And at the end, I enjoy more the clean air and forrest on the mountains
    than the bloddy CO2 from cars on the streets.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, the Dove Valley trail! A nice relaxing jaunt through South Yorkshires green and pleasant pastures. I'd recommend heading south towards Wortley and onto Wharncliffe, great trails in the woods.
  • Xtreem wrote:
    Road cycling is not fun unless you're racing. It's monotonous and borring.

But mountainbiking is always fun, if you're racing or not.
    Plus when you upgrade things on a MTB you can feel bigger
    difference than on a road one. (I suppose, never ridden one :? )

And at the end, I enjoy more the clean air and forrest on the mountains
    than the bloddy CO2 from cars on the streets.

I guess I'm lucky - I live on the edge of the Pennines and have great roads sweeping through countryside with low traffic levels AND superb countryside/woodland trails within minutes of my house without having to put either bike in a car to get to somewhere worth cycling.

Cycling is cycling...we're all in this for the fun, laughs etc but before you dismiss road cycling as 'boring' try descending Sa Colobra on Majorca - a 15 minute descent on a road bike for 14kms reaching 45-50mph!!!

I must be one of the oddballs with feet in both camps who can enjoy either road or off road cycling and still appreciate the arguments for the other!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Ah, the Dove Valley trail! A nice relaxing jaunt through South Yorkshires green and pleasant pastures. I'd recommend heading south towards Wortley and onto Wharncliffe, great trails in the woods.

I know them both very well - it's just that the trail is more or less on my doorstep (well, a mile or so away!) and it runs through to Worsbrough which is a couple or 3 miles from where I work. I must find some trails that lead from Worsbrough to Tankersley...any suggestions Supersonic?
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I guess I'm lucky - I live on the edge of the Pennines and have great roads sweeping through countryside with low traffic levels AND superb countryside/woodland trails within minutes of my house
    You are a lucky guy. :)

About the 45-50mph speeds, on a road bike I would never attempt it, because it's too
    risky, no protection and some skinny tires holding you on the ground. That's suiside. :shock:
    Because of that I can say road bikers are madder than DH bikers. :lol: