protection

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2009 in MTB buying advice
with the new yr coming up i have decided i want to get out and ride a bit more, maybe visit a few more trail centres and look at riding more technical and difficult stuff.

i am very much a wheels on the ground type of rider and tend to tackle anything rocky and dangerous at some pretty slow speed speed. im looking at getting some protection , namely knee and elbow pads. im thinking that it might make me more confident to know i will survive should my ability not match up to my (albeit small) bottle.

i have a set of 661 knee and shin pads but find they are a bit too conspicuous for my pedestrian speeds and a bit restrictive too, i bought them to protect me from pedal strikes but i havent had any in over a yr.

i am looking at 661 vegie wraps and chicken wings, they seem small enough to hid under riding gear, not too restrictive looking and i think they will gve me the confidence to be a bit braver. also they are going for a bargain price at the moment.

has anyone used veggies and chicken wings? do they offer any decent protection? i dont want anything too hard core as i would feel a git and inturn probably wouldnt want to wear them. i figured these might offer just enough protection and after all, a bit of bravery is what im really after

Comments

• gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Yes i think these pads will suit you, the veggies dont have hard plastic and i guess they really would just save you from cuts and scrapes offering minimal protection. Sods law that as soon as you switch from the 661s you'll wreck and wish you had been wearing the others :lol:

Ive just ordered the 661s so hope theyre not too restrictive
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Anonymous
    cool, thanks for the advice. the ones i have are the 661 4x4 pads, theyre good as they are light and tbh not too restrictive once you have got going. i mainly dont wear them any more as i feel a git in them.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I've got Veggie knee and shin (separate) pads.

I forget I'm wearing them usually, especially in the current temperatures.

Not cripplingly hot in summer either.
  • i have got the 661 kyle strait patriot knee pads which are very good and i find they give a little bit more protection than the chicken wings, and they dont effect your pedalling.

Bail
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited December 2008
    I use Kyle Strait knees and chicken wings elbows. The Kyle Straits are fairly bulky but they're not at all intrusive on the bike, just fit and forget. As long as you're in shorts or baggy trousers of course! I can't wear them under my oakleys trousers, they're too tight a fit- they go on, but they drag on every stroke. Knees tend to take pretty big hits, and they're vulnerable and complicated joints so I'd sooner err on the side of caution there! Even in a walking-pace topple on a technical bit, it's easy to whack a knee and that's no good if you're up a hill in the middle of nowhere. Very good bits of kit. It's a shame they don't have a hard outer, crashes will tear them up, but that's minor.

Elbows, the chicken wings are good. They're not quite flexible enough so they're a bit restrictive sometimes, though not a problem on the bike. They're obviously lighter armour, much less protection but then you don't need it as much on elbows. You really don't want to land hard on an elbow anyway, since you're likely to do your shoulders if you do. They're light protection rather than full on kit but they're good for that. Not quite as good as the knee pads maybe.
    alex.hulme wrote:
    Yes i think these pads will suit you, the veggies dont have hard plastic and i guess they really would just save you from cuts and scrapes offering minimal protection.

It's pretty much the other way round... With proper safety gear it's the padding that does most of the protecting, hard shell armour spreads impacts and reduces point injuries (ie, landing on sharp rocks or north shore edges) but proper soft armour (ie CE approved)actually reduces the amount of energy transferred into the body. An impact test of some hard armour a while back showed that it was as effective at reducing impacts as a cheese sandwich :lol:

There's a place for both of course, a combo of the 2 is the ideal for offroad use (for road motorbike gear, where impact absorbtion is the name of the game, hard armour is now almost completely obsolete). The impact absorbtion off road is the same but you also want to stop from being stabbed with rocks etc which is where a hard layer comes in.

(the comparison I like is mattresses vs armour plates. If you're going to be stabbed with a knife, you want a solid armour plate. But if you're going to fall over, you want to land on a mattress not a steel plate. Offroad bike crashes are a mix of the two.)

Some people will tell you no armour can prevent broken bones. Usually older folks who remember the hopeless old padding. But modern armour is a totally different kettle of fish, if it meets the CE standards then it offers real protection. Modern armour is amazing, the T-Pro Forcefield stuff is thinner and more flexible than the thinnest CE armour in the world was 5 years ago, yet offers among the best protection available (their back protectors are still among the only CE-2 garments available, yet are lighter and more breathable than most CE-1 panels). And it just looks like carpet underlay! Then there's the custard-tech stuff.

Lecture over :) You gain a better perspective on the hows and whys of armour when you're a motorcyclist with steel bolts in your hip and osteoperosis ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Sheeps

from your posts you ride similar to me :roll: . I'd recommend the Kyle Straits, really good compromise between protection and comfort, I've got chicken wings on order with CRC as I write.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling overdressed and then not wearing the kit :wink: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    cheers for the advice folks, tis good to hear im not being girl or over cautious.

i have ordered the kyle straits and some chicken wings (and some new launch shoes too but thats a whole other thing). just call me the 661 kid!!
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    I like the Troy Lee Lopes Knee guards, if I'm just doing tame XC or fireroad then I just have the padding bit around the knee if doing more adventerous stuff then I attached the knee and shin guard from my camelbak. I really like the 2 piece design of these makes them more useful than straight soft or solid pads, mind you they do cost you.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... mour-31740
  • i think i'm gonna look at some troy lee lopes cos they look good. Anybody who's ridden the altura trail at whinlatter will know the north side is tamer than the south side so it woule mean i could wear the knee pad for the north side and the climb on the south side and then strap on the pads for the south side descent

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    cheers for the advice folks, tis good to hear im not being girl or over cautious.

Never said you weren't a big girl's blouse, just said you were in good company :lol: . The knee pads make good knee warmers too, bonus.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    haha, well as long as im not the only one, i'll be ok :lol: