Full suspension or not

scottkw2003
scottkw2003 Posts: 57
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, i've been riding again for about 18 months and i am in the market for a new bike,
i currently ride a specialized hardtail and am looking to upgrade to perhaps a full suspension bike.
i've got about £1500 to spend but one small problem,i weigh 17.5 stone and want to know if these full supension bikes will carry me and also if they can be hardened any?
i've been looking at perhaps a gt force 1 that has a fox rp23 system any ideas would be very much appreciated

Comments

• Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I recently bought an 08 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I got it for just under £1200 with a years interest free credit as well. It van be had for nearer £1100 online but I wanted to buy local.

I weigh just under 18 Stone and the front and rear shocks are both air. The bike shop set it up initially for me and I have just spent £15 on a shock pump so I can make adjustments myself. The shocks easily adjust to my weight and getting the right sag has been no trouble at all.

I was initially put off a full suspension due to my weight, the staff in Leisure Lakes were excellent and spent plenty of time showing me different bikes and reassuring me that the bikes woulkd be plenty strong enough and adjustable.

The pitches front fork is coil so may need a harder spring to be fitted to suit your weight, air forks are much more adjustable
    Chris
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Just what I was thinking. A light all-mountain rig could be a good choice for a big rider I reckon.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • would such as http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... px?&id=803 be good (depends if it's the right size for you) ?
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • yep, a full-sus will carry you easily, air shocks will be fine and so will coil, once you've got it all dialed in and got used to it you'll be glad you bought one

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    I weigh 16 stone and ride a Pitch Pro - I love it. They are an amazing bargain at the moment as well.I feel that having a big burly bike makes you feel much more confident on the dh and seems nice and stable compared to bikes with less suspension. You would need a x firm spring in the forks though probably - if you asked the shop you bought one from nicely they might well sort it out for you.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Pitch pro's are a bargain (especially compared with the US price, only a couple hundred cheaper than a SC Blur LT!) and by most accounts a good ride. As others have suggested, if you can't get the sag right on the fork you'll probably need a new spring.
  • I prefer the silver colour of the pitch pro as in mbuk...quite fancy one though but the write up about the brakes kinda put me off a bit..
    but one that did catch my eye was the cube ltd team...nice bike indeed
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This months MBUK reviews it.

I am very impressed with it on paper, not ridde one, but some of the team have and highly rate it.

Will be a good year for Spesh.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i am a big old unit and have never had any problems with any of my full sus bikes, the beauty of air shocks is that they can be adjusted to suit you much easier and more effectively than coils.

i weigh about 19.5 stone
  • Anonymous
    which mbuk was there a review for a silver pitch?
  • supersonic
    Dunno if its silver, but is a pro in Januarys.
  • Anonymous
    ahh, good, i thought i had missed summat. the pitch reviews very favourably. good old spesh eh. i read the review of the fsr xc (which was silver) and again, scored well,
  • supersonic
    Price problems that are plagueing the rest don't seem as apparent this year. They have finally sorted out the Hardrocks: just a pity they took the tora off the base Hopper, but the FS are better than ever.