bottle cage too tight??

ukracer
ukracer Posts: 421
edited December 2008 in Workshop
Just bought a couple of the pbk carbon cages in the sale at £13 each

You get free bottle too but seems a tight fit and think might struggle removing or even break the cage in the process

Anyone had experience similar or is that how they should be

Comments

• My Token Carbon Cages are quite similar. However, it secures the bottles pretty well and over a period of four months they are yet to snap!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    In the "for what it's worth department" that's one of the reasons I still use metal cages.
    You can always bend them a bit so they hold the bottle as tight or as loose as you like it.

Dennis Noward
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    yeah but the carbon ones weigh about 40 grams less, which is what really matters :lol:
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    In the same vein, what is this all about?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Elite_Patao_74_Carbon_Effect_Bottle_Cage/5360011739/

At that price, if you want a carbon bottle cage, just flippin' buy one!!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Have you tried twisting the bottle as you pull? Often seems to work well with tight cages. Rather have it too tight than too loose - a jumping bottle in a road race is very frowned upon!
  • ive always found plastic ones too be lightm, strong and flexible.
    works for me!
  • ukracer
    ukracer Posts: 421
    rjsmith wrote:
    Have you tried twisting the bottle as you pull? Often seems to work well with tight cages. Rather have it too tight than too loose - a jumping bottle in a road race is very frowned upon!

never thought of that thanks!
    Just seems to be scratching new bottle up already without the grit and grime
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I fitted a pair of CF cages last week. They were quite tightly placed together and the bottles just didn't sit right. Then I realised I'd fitted them both upside down. :oops:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mclarent wrote:
    In the same vein, what is this all about?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Elite_Patao_74_Carbon_Effect_Bottle_Cage/5360011739/

At that price, if you want a carbon bottle cage, just flippin' buy one!!

Now that is strange. Maybe, because carbon makes you go faster(as everyone knows),
    even the hint of carbon on a bike adds 2-5 MPH. I've heard this is true(saw it on the
    Internet).

Dennis Noward
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    george.b wrote:
    ive always found plastic ones too be lightm, strong and flexible.
    works for me!
    +1 on that. The black nylon/plastic/whatever cages sold under various brands are light, cheap, strong, cheap, easy to strap securely to bikes like mine that have no mounts on the frame, and cheap. Oh, and did I mention that they're cheap? :D
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Found the road going version of Specialized Rib Cages to be bloody useless after a few months. Fine at first but started to flop and bottles began to rattle after a while (the MTB version is on my Hardrock and it is much better - 15 months and still a tight grip).

Carbon Tokens on my Allez - same as RoadRider84 - were a big improvement and I've had no issues with Campag Centaur cages (though sometimes the downtube bottle rotates in the cage during the ride :lol:)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tacx Tao and Campag bottle cages work for me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr