Worst Christmas Ever!?!?!?!

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited January 2009 in The bottom bracket
It's official! I've had one of my worst Christmas' ever!!! :cry:

So I arrive home to Wales after a horrific drive from London, to find that my Dad whose disabled due to a previous quite large stroke has fallen in his day centre landing directly on his bad hand causing a lot of damage!

Then over Christmas Eve lunch my Mum decides to drop it in ever so lightly that the Doctors believe that her throat cancer has come back and has to go into hospital this week to have a lump taken out and sent away for test's! She knew this weeks ago but decided to drop it on me when I got home! Not the best time really. :?

Then to top it all off my very very loud, annoying, rude, obnoxious, arrogant, selfish sister decides to spend 90% off her time at my folks and proceeds to annoy the sh!t out of me and continue her take take take attitude. I came very close to punching her in the face on several occasions.

Don't you just love the festive period??? :lol:

Anyway thanks for listening, hope you all had a nice Christmas and here's to a much improved New Year!
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Gotta love families! Hope everything turns out alright with your folks. Just think it can only get better!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Not as grim as yours, but not great.

Other half paralytic in front of her folks; insisted that she was cooking even though she was too p***ed to stand. My daughter (aged 8) rescued the day by getting us all to play pass the parcel.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I've given up on Christmas.

All the hype then the eventual let down.

Having flu 2 years on the trot have not helped my opinion.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    ... Then to top it all off my very very loud, annoying, rude, obnoxious, arrogant, selfish sister decides to spend 90% off her time at my folks and proceeds to annoy the sh!t out of me and continue her take take take attitude. I came very close to punching her in the face on several occasions. ...
    Sounds like my sister (I won't go into the details). She caused a whole load of problems, so we eventually, as a family, gave her an ultimatum, which she declined. I haven't spoken to her for ~5-6 years. She was totally ignored at my father's funeral. It was sad that it came to that.

I hope that your parents pull through and have a better New Year.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I had a great time. My parents were supposed to come over, they live in the west of Ireland, but my father had a back op a couple of weeks ago so they cancelled. My sister was supposed to coming with her boyfriend and baby but she cancelled because my parents weren't coming.

So Christmas day my wife and I popped across to the neighbours for a glass of bubbly, then back for a quite lunch. Boxing day was a club run followed by the pub.

The best Christmas I've had for a long time.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Bummer of an Xmas drewfromrisca - I hope the new year brings some changes for the better!

Andy
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • I bet God didn't get into debt when giving us his only son. I suppose it's not one of those things that God could put on his credit card.

After the usual round of wracking my brains to get something appropriate for everyone (and probably falling short), and again receiving a whole load of naff crap, I'm wondering how to break it that I would rather people don't buy me anything as it would only end up on Freecycle. I would prefer it if they bought a goat for someone in a third world country.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's weird, but I think we all have the same sister :shock:
  • Nothing like as bad as Drews. I put off my shopping (apart from for my ex, whose pressie arrived the day after she went home for Christmas :P ) and then got the flu in the last week leading up to Christmas so couldnt go out \nd do any at all. "Ooohh thanks for my pressies teenage nieces but erm, I was too sick to buy you anything, I promise to get you all something very soon". Thats OK Uncle, we want money anyway, er, well I havent been to a cash machine either, sorry.
  • Well guys I'm glad it wasn't all me having the doom and gloom although Pirahna yours sounds pretty fantastic to me!!!

Heard today that my Mum had her Op and they removed a lump from her throat which is being sent off for analysis. Fingers crossed is all that can be done now.

It's true about the sister thing though! For some reason she is also seen as the blue eyed girl of the family. Even though all she has done so far in her total life is get pregnant at 16 causing my Dad to work double shifts for most of his later life to cover the costs of another mouth to feed. This along with another dopey baby making sister cost me a place in college due to no funds etc etc!!! She then gets to go to college after the baby grows up as all of a sudden the folks have 'funds' for her! I then proceed to get a job at 16 and pay for my 1st car, holiday, bike, etc etc all the while she gets it on a plate!!!
    This goes on and on till she gets married, gets it all paid for, then gets a divorce all because she couldn't keep her pants on!!! She now gets everything given to her on a plate, including my mum still cooking her meals for her, picking her kid up from school (I had to walk) and loaning large amounts of money on a weekly if not daily basis. I once found a list of the money she loaned and its well over 5 grand for her and 3 grand for my loveable pot smoking, car crashing (3 so far this year) chav of a nephew!!!

Ah that feels better :evil: now that's all off my chest I can relax a little!!! Sorry folks.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Sorry to hear your news Drew hope it works out with your mum and dad
  • I "ruined" last christmas by drinking a whole bottle of Jagermeister for breakfast - something I vigorously deny (the ruining, not the drinking) because no one ended up crying, no one fell over and nothing got broken (thankfully I'm quite happy and sitty-downy when drunk) - so I was fully expecting repayment in kind from my other half this year. Thankfully it never materialised and the worst that happened was that she got a bit tetchy whilst making dinner. She's a chef by trade, so not having a grill pan embedded in my skull means I got off lightly.

drewfromrisca, I hope your sis sees the error of her ways some day. I'm the oldest of seven and a couple of my siblings take the p*ss on that kind of scale; they haven't worked a day in their life whereas the rest of us haven't stopped since we got our first paper round. Que sera.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Hmmmm,

Seems like I got off lightly then

In more ways than one

Snake

AS2.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • You guys with the 'odd' family members, do you voice your opinions to them directly? There are often atmospheres at occasions in my family but usually because grievances are never aired.
    I'll never understand how some can stay in the family nest all thier lives, never working etc. Christ have some self respect.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    percusski wrote:
    You guys with the 'odd' family members, do you voice your opinions to them directly? There are often atmospheres at occasions in my family but usually because grievances are never aired. ...
    Yes, but it's difficult when you're met with point-blank denial and lies.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    This is pottsteve's formula and it can be applied to the "Festive Period":

A = b x n(F) + B

Where
    A is the chance of an argument,
    b is the number of beers consumed
    n(F) is the number of family members
    and
    B is the Boredom produced by having nothing much to do and the sh*te on TV.

In some households, the whole equation is also affected by the inverse of m2. In other words, the smaller the space available in the house, the more aggro.

I have had a largely pleasant Christmas this year (A = low) by living 6500 miles from most of my family, not drinking much and going out a lot. Really, it's the best way - why spend time with people you don't like and with whom you have little in common other than a few alleles. Believe me, I've done it and it's not fun. I you can't emigrate, book a week in Tunisia for next Christmas. I'm sorry if you've had a bad one.
    Happy New Year,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • I am really sorry for all those who had a bad Christmas. I was lucky enough to get engaged so I am still quite hyper!!!

My cycling has been a disaster though.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I am really sorry for all those who had a bad Christmas. I was lucky enough to get engaged so I am still quite hyper!!!

You'll be starting this thread next year then! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I am really sorry for all those who had a bad Christmas. I was lucky enough to get engaged so I am still quite hyper!!!

You'll be starting this thread next year then! :lol:

my, my aggieboy aren't we the cynical one? you're probably correct though :roll:
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I can sympathise with you here, my gran had a stroke overnight on Christmas Eve so most of the day was spent worrying about her and visiting in hospital. The stroke has finished now but left her paralysed in her right arm and leg and unable to communicate. Hopefully she will be able to be rehabilitated though.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Sirius631 wrote:
    I bet God didn't get into debt when giving us his only son. I suppose it's not one of those things that God could put on his credit card.
    Don't worry, he'll have a crap time at Easter.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had flu the week running up to Xmas and Mrs J W came down with it on Xmas eve - as a result we had a quiet time at home - best Xmas in years - however flu has affected my balance so no cycling since before Xmas :cry:
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    I've given up on Christmas.

So have I. I am not religious in any way, so I stopped celebrating Christmas five or six years ago. Don't buy anyone anything, and they don't buy me anything. Makes life a hell of a lot simpler, and (to my warped mind) reduces needless consumption.
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Having flu 2 years on the trot have not helped my opinion.
    Strangely, I get ill almost every Christmas, this time being no exception. The same goes for most holidays. Whenever I get off work (which I hate with a passion) I get ill. This year, I've had three holidays of a week or more, and have been ill for each of the three. Either I'm unbelievably unlucky, or my Karma is seriously messed up!!
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105

Then to top it all off my very very loud, annoying, rude, obnoxious, arrogant, selfish sister decides to spend 90% off her time at my folks and proceeds to annoy the sh!t out of me and continue her take take take attitude. I came very close to punching her in the face on several occasions.

I didn't realise I had a brother in Wales, it certainly seems like we share the same sister. :lol:
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I had pnuemonia just before Christmas, coughing blood, the works, which came back just after New Year. Still coughing blood. They're sending me for a follow up at the chest dept in Feb "Just to rule out the shadow on the xray isn;t anything sinister."
    Nice. Not only didn they manage to scare the bejesus out of me with the thought that there could be anything sinister there in the first place, but they've put it far enough away to give me plenty of time to obsess over it.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The same goes for most holidays. Whenever I get off work (which I hate with a passion) I get ill. !!

I've heard of this before ...happening with people who are seriously stressed. Hope you are the exception.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Gotte
    feel wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The same goes for most holidays. Whenever I get off work (which I hate with a passion) I get ill. !!

I've heard of this before ...happening with people who are seriously stressed. Hope you are the exception.

There was something on the news this morning about that very thing. Apparently, your body kind of says okay, I can afford to be sick.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Man, my family annoy me at times, but they're a bunch of sweethearts really. Having read this thread I'm going to make sure I spend more time with them!

I took my Turkish GF home for Xmas, she survived intact including dinner for 23 on Xmas eve! Plus I had from the 24th to the 5th off - so an excellent xmas all round I'm afraid!
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Not as emotionally bad as others but I had flu just before the break, my wife had cryptosporidium, my youngest copped the pad off the end of his index finger in a door hinge and we had to arrange a medical repatreation for my mother-in-law (and father-in-law) from a Cambodian hospital after she contracted Dengeue Fever and then host them through New Year as she recovered .....never been so gald to be back at work :wink:

I CAN, however, recommend this for motivating you to go on the turbo in the garage, never looked forward to going into the dark cold night quite so much.
  • Gotte
    BigG67 wrote:
    Not as emotionally bad as others but I had flu just before the break, my wife had cryptosporidium, my youngest copped the pad off the end of his index finger in a door hinge and we had to arrange a medical repatreation for my mother-in-law (and father-in-law) from a Cambodian hospital after she contracted Dengeue Fever and then host them through New Year as she recovered .....never been so gald to be back at work :wink:

I CAN, however, recommend this for motivating you to go on the turbo in the garage, never looked forward to going into the dark cold night quite so much.

Now that is a list and a half from hell.