Stupid phone interviews

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hey there,

Does anyone have experience of doing job interviews over the phone?

I've only ever done one, and it was a disaster. I was well prepared, but their questions were real stupid stuff nobody would have been prepared for. So I need some suggestions on how I can prepare for a customer service, competence based interview.

Cheers
Pedro
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    First thing to do is stand up whilst talking - it helps project your voice in a mroe confident manner apparantly.

Have a notepad and pen handy. I often find writing bullet points down as someone is talking to me on the phone helps me remember what they are saying. If in any doubt, repeat the question back to them. It'll give you more time (albeit a few seconds) to think about your response.

It won't hurt to actually 'dress up' for the interview. Not in your stormtrooper outfit or as your favourite YMCA character but as in the way you would for a formal interview - it'll help get you in the right mindset.

Think about some of the most random questions you can and then think about an answer. Whilst you are unlikely to be asked the same question, being able to think on your feet will be a useful tool. How does a microwave work, how does a satellite stay in orbit, if you were a fish/cake/dog (etc) what kind would you be and why? If I gave you £50 what would you spend it on and why? These are all stupid questions I've heard asked at formal interviews, all designed to see not only what the candidate says but how they say it - confidently, knowledgably, bluffing twattingly?

Whatever you do, do not lie or try and bluff. If you don't know an answer, say so. "Thats a very good/interesting/challenging question, thank you, I have never been asked that before. I shall certainly endeavour to find out the answer after this call." All sounds better than "Pass" or "Dunno" or "Thats a bit random isn't it?" and infinitely better than bluffing a wrong answer.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    GavH wrote:
    Whatever you do, do not lie or try and bluff. If you don't know an answer, say so. "Thats a very good/interesting/challenging question, thank you, I have never been asked that before. I shall certainly endeavour to find out the answer after this call." All sounds better than "Pass" or "Dunno" or "Thats a bit random isn't it?" and infinitely better than bluffing a wrong answer.

Gav - with a tip like that, surely you must work in tech PR..? ;)
  • Gav! Thanks mate. There's plenty of good advice there.

But the question that really caught me out last time was:

'How would you build a relationship with a customer?' and as a follow up, 'How would you maintain that relationship?'

I still can't think of a reasonable answer.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    spend time with the customer to fully understand their needs. if you can understand the situation from the customer's perspective then you are in a better position to meet their needs.

build a relationship with them by simply spending time with them - get to know them. make them feel special

let them know that you value them doing business with you and you value them as a customer

make regular contact with them - even when you don't have anything to sell them - just check in to see how their last purchase is meeting their expectations

ask the customer what are their expectations of you and your company

pro actively spend time and energy managing those expectations

good luck
    regards,
    dbb
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    'How would you build a relationship with a customer?'

identify the key factors that influence their buying decisions..

SCR Pedro wrote:
    'How would you maintain that relationship?'

use those key factors to anticipate their needs..

or something like that.
  • Thanks guys.

I'm a little more prepared now. I have prepared answers to 10 questions I might expect them to ask.

Honestly, the crap you have to go through to get a job these days, it's unbelievable. I used to work for this company for about 5 years. I'm guessing it'll count for nothing in the interview.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...