I would like to get some money off my bike to save a few penny's
Does anyone have any tips because this will be my first time haggling

Thanks in advance

Cannondale F6

'Ow that hurt'

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If its an 08 or 07 model chances are it'll be discounted anyway but still try for a few quid off,or some freebies.If its an 09 model...good luck most manufacturers have up their prices by at least 10%.
    Example:-
    Specialized Enduro SL Expert 08 £1999
    Specialized Enduro SL Expert 09 £2399 :shock:
  • It will probably something like a GT Avalanche not so expensive but I don't want to use all my money up

Cannondale F6

'Ow that hurt'
  • sniper68
    Best thing to do is go to the shop and say i want this but at that price its a bit steep,spin them a yarn about the credit crunch etc,then knock off say £100.Wait for the response,if they come back with £50 you know they'll deal so go for £90 etc.Start as high as you can!Chances are if the will deal they'll meet you at around the £75 discount mark.
    Some shops will come down by 25% if sales are slow.Large nationals like Evans etc will probably not deal at all.
  • Ok im thinking of buying fro lesuirelakes so I guess it might work

Cannondale F6

'Ow that hurt'
  • sniper68
    Its worth a try,anything saved is better in your pocket 8)
  • If you pay cash/upfront your more likely to get a discount on either the bike or parts.

Say something like "i'll pay the full amount by debit card (or cash) now, would you offer anything any discount or throw in some parts"?

My bro got 50% off a shock pump, lube and some cleaning stuff free at evans when he paid by debit in full on the day.
  • sniper68
    On a full suss i've always insisted on a shock pump being thrown in 8) No shock pump...no sale :lol:
  • Ok thanks

Cannondale F6

'Ow that hurt'
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I just say "This is what I'm prepared to pay", and if they say no I leave. Quick, and surprisingly effective, but the trouble is it can't be a bluff, you have to be genuinely prepared to walk away
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    I was in richersounds (fairly big company) buying my t.v and it was up for £800 in the end i got it down to £720 with a free lead to plug it in to my laptop...
    i basically just said £720 is my max if you cant go down that low i cant afford :roll:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860
    I use the "I would rather purchase from a local shop routine"

Bought a jacket yesterday from a trial centre and just asked why they hadn't put the sale prices on yet - a quick chat & 8% saved. Ok, could have bought it for £2 cheaper from the internet and not had to haggle - but it was ferkin cold yesterday!!
  • One of my LBS kinda has the following routine-

Customer- Can I have a discount?
    LBS- We can't give a discount...
    Customer- Hmm, I've got cash, rather buy it from here etc.
    LBS- Okay either 5% off the bike of 10% of the bike value to spend in the shop.

You can probably haggel more than that but thats there basic "discount" procedure.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3