Tired legs

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,892
I went on a reasonable length ride today of around 80km and towards the end my legs were really suffering. I know that after that kind of distance some pain is to be expected but my pulse was fine and I wasn't out of breath.

So I was wondering if there was much I could do to prevent my legs from burning out? I generally pedal at 90/95 cadence so can't imagine it's that. Would eating more help?

Comments

• Ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike

I think Il Campionissimo nailed it when he said that - just ride more!

Cheers, Andy

ps The pain won't get any better, but you will get faster...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    You know how eskimos have many different words for 'snow'?............. Anyone who is serious about cycling knows all about many different types of tired legs. :wink:

Merry Christmas!

Ruth
  • phreak
    Is there anything I could do to shift more of the load onto my cardio system? My legs seem to always go before my heart/lungs.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    If you're riding at a reasonably comfortable aerobic pace for several hours, then it's very unlikely that you will feel your cardio system is the limiting factor. However, your leg muscles will get very tired because you've been using them constantly for an extended period.

Andy is absolutely right - ride your bike more if you want to be able to ride 80km without your legs hurting at the end. If it makes you feel any better, I rode a long way today and my legs hurt too.

Ruth
  • I rode 71km the other day and I can't feel one of my legs :lol:

Just stick with it. Riding at a reasonable clip for long distances takes a while to get used to but if you are consistent with training, the body will adapt. It might help to have a bit to eat an hour or two before your ride and a small snack about halfway.

There's lots of good things going on inside your legs which will help them adapt over the longer term, provided you train them regularly and they get rest and fuel.
  • I rode 71km the other day and I can't feel one of my legs :lol:

Just stick with it. Riding at a reasonable clip for long distances takes a while to get used to but if you are consistent with training, the body will adapt. It might help to have a bit to eat an hour or two before your ride and a small snack about halfway.

There's lots of good things going on inside your legs which will help them adapt over the longer term, provided you train them regularly and they get rest and fuel.

I can do a reasonably paced 50 mile ride (~20mph average) and I will be physically tired in the second half and for about an hour after the ride while I am cooling down then I am fine....Just keep at it and it will get easier over time. Mess with yourself and chuck in a few intervals or hill climbs along the way. You will be knackered but when you ride without the intervals you will find it easier...well I did anyway....Alex (as a coach) may not recommend it though!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • phreak
    Thanks for the tips everyone and Merry Christmas :)