Abergavenny-Pembroke newbie advice

TomJG
TomJG Posts: 9
Hi
Myself and a friend have an idea to cycle to a festival from Abergavenny to Pembroke next May. At the moment I'm only doing about a 25-30mile trip every other weekend plus a little bit of commuting.

According to Michelin maps it works out as 95 miles and I reckon we'll have about 10 hours all in. We wont be carrying any gear apart from what we'll need during the day.

Neither of us have done anything of this distance before and so have absolutely no idea how this will hit us. So, the question is.....Is it feasible?

I realise the only way to really find out is to try riding something approaching that distance in training, set the benchmark, but just wondered what people think.

Any advice appreciated.
Cheers

Tom

P.S. the fact that the route crosses through the Brecon Beacons and I dont currently have a road bike will be tackled later!

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Pembroke to Abergavenny is relatively flat and on some very good road surfaces, don't worry about the hills.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    a40 all the way about 5h
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    a40 all the way isn't my idea of fun

knobbly tires = 20% harder

I've personally never cycled that far in a day, do some training, get used to eating lots of energy snacks in the saddle & go for it.

Any possibility of making it a two dayer?
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Mr Sub55 is the world record holder for Carmarthen-Brecon and back (about half the route) I don't think he found the a40 much fun that day either. :wink:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    chrisw12 wrote:
    Mr Sub55 is the world record holder for Carmarthen-Brecon and back (about half the route) I don't think he found the a40 much fun that day either. :wink:

:oops: 4h 10m :twisted:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • TomJG
    TomJG Posts: 9
    Cheers for the replies.

Regarding the A40, good ol' MIchelin maps has plotted for a bike, basically using smaller roads which run parrallel to the main road.Probably means more stop/start riding but prefer that to being sucked under HGV's. :?

There is the possibility of making it two days and taking it a bit easier but then we would have to carry the gear. Not only would this be a bit more effort but id also have to source panniers as well as a road bike!

t