Lance to be a Daddy

FullFrameRob
FullFrameRob Posts: 188
edited December 2008 in Pro race
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/ar ... index.html

Sounds like everything is still in working order !

Comments

• How many cyclists have more Tour de France wins than kids? Apart from the ones that don't have any kids (that they know about)!
    Is Lance the only one - he's got to go some to even things up!
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • The harsh chemotherapy left him unable to have children, although he and then-wife Kristin Richards had three children using sperm the cyclist had donated before the treatment. Armstrong and Hansen, however, are expecting without the use of any artificial fertilization process

Hi there.

I don't follow this - is this possible from a medical point of view?

Cheers, Andy
  • ps Forget to say - congrats to the happy couple!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    He has a ready made excuse for not showing up to the Giro or Tour now...

(though I'm not surprised he's managed to conceive with knackered bollocks, but that he's actually with a woman young enough to be pre-menopausal...)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hi andrewgturnbull,

Yes, it's certainly possible. Before you undergo chemotherapy it is usually the case that the man would be given the option of storing sperm. This is a "safeguard" against the possibility of chemotherapeutic drugs rendering you infertile. However, in Mr. Armstrong's case, it appears that his remaining testis is functioning as it should and is producing viable sperm.
    By the way, the same thing happened to me, although I chose not to bank sperm but became a father by conventional means several years after undergoing chemotherapy.

This was a public service announcement, and I hope it hasn't put anyone off their turkey. :wink:

Merry Christmas.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Why is this even remotely newsworthy? Lots of professional cyclists will be expecting kids with their partners but that doesn't get reported.
  • pottssteve
    andyp,
    You try having 4 kids with only one nut - he'll be in the Guiness Book of Records next. :wink:
  • andyp is it, perhaps, likely that you have allowed the "did lance the cyclist do dope" debates obscure the fact that there is also another story about "lance the cancer survivor who was nearly rendered infertile and might never have been able to cycle again but went on to win the tdf, have children and generally inspire cancer survivors the world over".

It's newsworthy in a way that pottssteve's (half) parallel story is not because (no offence steve, merry christmas to you too) lance is pretty famous and, believe it or not, this kind of story is important to millions of people who need inspiring during a scary time.. Even if you aren't one of them, surely you can see why it's newsworthy?
  • pottssteve
    Hi, avoidingmyphd,
    No offence taken. My "story" was merely to explain that fatherhood is possible post chemo.
    By the way, is that black pudding stall still open on Bury market? It's a while since I've been there :wink:
  • I think you'll find it's full title is "Bury's WORLD FAMOUS (caps in the original ) Market. Market of the Year [insert current year here]."

It's been, er, days since I was down there and I'm happy to report that the black pudding - and black peas (whatever the hell they are) stalls are still open and perplexingly busy!

(EDIT - this is possible the most OT post I have ever managed to make!)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You don't know what black peas are ?

Who are you - some sort of Southern nancy boy ? :lol:
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    biondino wrote:
    He has a ready made excuse for not showing up to the Giro or Tour now...

(though I'm not surprised he's managed to conceive with knackered bollocks, but that he's actually with a woman young enough to be pre-menopausal...)

why ? do you know many multi millionaire athletes in their 30's who struggle with the ladies ?
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Like to give my congrats to them both.

But not exactly great preparation for le tour. All them sleepless nights to come in the month before.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    andyp is it, perhaps, likely that you have allowed the "did lance the cyclist do dope" debates obscure the fact that there is also another story about "lance the cancer survivor who was nearly rendered infertile and might never have been able to cycle again but went on to win the tdf, have children and generally inspire cancer survivors the world over".

It's newsworthy in a way that pottssteve's (half) parallel story is not because (no offence steve, merry christmas to you too) lance is pretty famous and, believe it or not, this kind of story is important to millions of people who need inspiring during a scary time.. Even if you aren't one of them, surely you can see why it's newsworthy?
    Sorry, hadn't realised this was a natural conception rather than one using the sperm he'd stored. I understand why it's newsworthy now.

I'll go back to being a Christmas grump now...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    Sorry, hadn't realised this was a natural conception rather than one using the sperm he'd stored. I understand why it's newsworthy now.

I was trying to think of a 2nd coming joke but can't think of one....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • pottssteve
    Mmmmmm,
    Black peas. Steaming hot, with lots of vinegar. Although I think I prefer mushy peas. Steaming hot, with lots of vinegar. And the shop made ones, not the tinned rubbish either...

Lance's testis to mushy peas in 14 posts. Makes you think, doesn't it?
  • For a split second i was thinking that one of the Olsen twins was up the duff.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

I was trying to think of a 2nd coming joke but can't think of one....

You should know by now, that there's no such thing as a joke at Lance's expense. You may find yourself with your very own thread! :wink:

A "hater" from another forum came up with this. I don't know if it passes the joke muster.
    "Very appropriate for xmas. An immaculate conception. Only this time rather than a man who thinks he is the son of god being conceived, it is a man who thinks he is god doing the conceiving."

Well, done to the man. Another remarkable achievement.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I hope it was planned?

Well if not they do,do a beautiful shotgun wedding in Texas? :D

Well done though.

I bet he's more chuffed with this than winning any bike race? ( well I would be)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It would have been more of a story if it was "Lance Armstrong and Adam Hansen expecting a child"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Oh well, it gives the mags a reason to devote another 35 pages to Armstrong every month. :(
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    He'll have the cover of 'Hello' and all the non-cycling aware ladies will marvel at the miracle that is Lance.

Anyway if he reads this, congratulations and if in Bury, we'll take you to the market for black pudding,mushy or black peas and an espresso at Katsouris delicatessan.
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    He'll have the cover of 'Hello' and all the non-cycling aware ladies will marvel at the miracle that is Lance.

Anyway if he reads this, congratulations and if in Bury, we'll take you to the market for black pudding,mushy or black peas and an espresso at Katsouris delicatessan.

Hi there.

Dy'know when I read this thread I went to the google news to double-check the story. The first link I followed took me to Hello magazine...

So I'd also like to congratulate Gary from Take That on his impending 3rd child, and also Anne Robinson on becoming a Granny yesterday.

I should read Hello more often... it was all good news!

Cheers, Andy
  • i wonder if it was planned? trying for children when your about to make a comeback. it doesnt make any sense to me.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Lacne's had a sh@g.Big deal!
    As for the sleepless nights etc.etc.It won't be him losing sleep.Him and Mrs.Lacne will probably have an army of nannies to do all the mundane stuff between photo opportunities.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    I can't believe I'm asking this, but who is she ? My wife wants to know what she looks like as she has a theory that all his girlfriends look like his mum
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Lance's Wonderchild, Delivery Doctor Named.
    dr-michele-ferrari.jpg
    Try and see the funny side all you Lance scrooges.... :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    mrushton wrote:

Katsouris has amazingly good grub, but hell on earth when it's busy.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    colint wrote:
    I can't believe I'm asking this, but who is she ? My wife wants to know what she looks like as she has a theory that all his girlfriends look like his mum

http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/w ... hansen.jpg

Looks she could do with being pregnant just to survive the winter !

MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I'd be asking for a paternity test

Think about it....

He couldnt have kids naturally with his wife at a time when he was trying his nut off.

Now, five years older he accidentally (we assume) gets his girlfriend pregnant at the most inconvenient time