Bowery, Langster or genesis Flyer? Hanzo or Touche?

GibboGT
GibboGT Posts: 287
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm getting a little fed up of dragging my mountain bike to and from work on the road everyday and so am considering getting a singlespeed commuter.

Never understood the singlespeed thing, but tried a mates bowery recently and just enjoyed the simplicity of it so going to get me one.

the thing is i'm not sure what to get.

the giant bowery I think I can get for £295, online, I think I need a large. I've only managed to try a medium and this was most definately too small, i'm pushing 6'3'' and so may have to consider the XL.

the specialized Langster I think is about £325 online.

and the genesis flyer I can get for about £470, but from my lbs which is a big bonus.

these are all 2008 models btw.

I'd love to here peoples opinions on these bikes, i've read reviews here and there etc. I didn't really like the bowery's lack of stopping power and believe that the flyer has better brakes. But £175 is a lot to spend if that is the only real difference. Although the flyer seems to have a better frame too.
I'd love it if someone could go help me with the specs a little, being a mountainbiker, I have no clue about roadbike spec.

And singlespeed gearing? well not gearing but ratio I guess, the bowery seems to be slightly different to the other two?

bowery 46:17
langster 42:16
flyer 48:18

?

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Gearing doesn't matter, because you can easily buy a new sprocket.

tbh there isn't much between them, get the one that you think looks/fits the best. You biggest concern is wether you want double fixed or flip/flop, just buy the one that has what you need.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    What about this? Eyelets for racks, guards etc. and a bit of a bargain price.
  • Just a thought - for a good while now, Pearsons (http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk) have been offering Bowerys for £225 - this was still the case last month, though I coudn't see it on their website when I just checked.

Be worth talking to them anyway as they make own-brand single speeds too, so should have good advice.

Beware the Pearson Touche, though - it's a thing of beauty!
  • GibboGT
    cheers for the responses.

The tricross does look nice and it is a great price! This bike would be road only so I guess so far I'd ignored it over the langster.
    The thing is I wasn't too keen on the bowery brakes, and 've heard very mixed things about the langster and its finish.
    The flyer looked great and is the only one that I could try out in my size, but as said is a lot more money, I think it does come in at over half a kg lighter than the others.

Will give pearsons a call, i'd seen mentioned about their bowery price, but as it was gone off the site i'd presumed i had gone.

the touche does look nice, I can't stretch that far though, well I guess I could but I think it would be a tad too far!

Don't think i'll be looking at riding it fixed, maybe in the future.
  • GibboGT
    then again, I could get a boardman comp for genesis flyer kinda money.

Different kettle of fish I know. Just wondering where the money is going?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The Touche is fab, but the tricross is just a crazy bargain! Defo give Pearsons a call, they're a pleasure to deal with but I think they're all out of the Bowery.
  • GibboGT
    Just spoken to pearsons, think i'm going to stick with the singlespeed idea as it is really what I want.

They recommended the Hanzo if I can't stretch to the Touche.

May try to take a look next week in store if I can get there.

The tricross is a bargain! guy at pearsons (I guess understandably) didn't really think much of the track bike frames converted to road bikes, thought they were too twitchy and not overly comfortable. And as much as I enjoyed the simplicity of the bowery when I tried it, for me the brakes didn't work that well, and it was quite rough going on slightly uneven road.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Lagavulin wrote:
    What about this? Eyelets for racks, guards etc. and a bit of a bargain price.

The Tricross at pearson's offer price is IMHO the bargain of the year! I'm seriously considering getting a SECOND one - then I don't even have to change wheels between on- and off-tarmac. I run it fixed and I reckon it's the second best fixed I've had at any price.
    And at this time of year (weather!), ability to fit 'grds makes a s/s or fixed THE low maintenance option.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Infamous
    GibboGT wrote:
    The tricross is a bargain! guy at pearsons (I guess understandably) didn't really think much of the track bike frames converted to road bikes, thought they were too twitchy and not overly comfortable. And as much as I enjoyed the simplicity of the bowery when I tried it, for me the brakes didn't work that well, and it was quite rough going on slightly uneven road.
    These bikes aren't really track bikes imo. They're road bikes with no gears.
  • GibboGT
    Just to clarify, I asked the guy at pearsons what he thought of the Bowery and the Langster, he said that in his opinion they were track frames geometry wise and weren't as comfortable for road and about town use.

?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Tricross is a great single speed/fixed bike for road use. Mine is fitted with road tyres and mudguards. I use a 42/17 fixed gear (65") and find the handling is very good. Stable but not dull. It has the advantage that I can always put the cross tyres back on and have a bit of off road fun. It is in the set below.
  • Infamous
    GibboGT wrote:
    Just to clarify, I asked the guy at pearsons what he thought of the Bowery and the Langster, he said that in his opinion they were track frames geometry wise and weren't as comfortable for road and about town use.

?
    I think they are built to ride on the road, to appeal to the new "trend" of riding fixed. They're not really track bikes as such, and shouldn't be much different to a road bike in terms of comfort. You'll just be a bit higher at the back and lower at the front (which you can change anyway).

You're more likely to be limited by the lack of gears, than the geometry.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I have recently gone through answering the same question and have settled on a Pearson Hanzo. Just waiting for my collection letter to come though as I am getting it on the C2W scheme.

The Tricross was also on my list and I think I might have been tempted at that price.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    The Bowery and Langster are certainly not track bikes. They are the same geometry as the TCR and Allez.

I've got a Bowery and love it. Never had any problems with the brakes, but then the first thing I did before I'd even ridden it was fit decent pads. At the £225 I got it for I doubt very much I could have got a better bike. Even £300 is a bargain.
  • GibboGT
    the thing is i only want it for on road, and so I think if i got the tricross i'd probably want to change the tyres and the gearing?
    It is a great price though!

Also just realised, if I get my company to join the cyclescheme I can get a touche for about £350.
  • Infamous
    some ideas:

Charge Plug Freestyler £400 Just needs some drop bars, but looks nice.
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 0s180p3718

Fuji Track £290 needs brakes, but this is what i'd get.
    http://biddlebikes.co.uk/catalog/produc ... cts_id=162

SE Racing bikes >£300 (scroll down) can get drops or flat bar, similar to a fuji.
    http://www.mrsite.co.uk/pprouk/cart.asp ... itepage=22

As long as you don't plan to ride on the track, then "road" fixed bikes are fine.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    GibboGT wrote:
    the thing is i only want it for on road, and so I think if i got the tricross i'd probably want to change the tyres and the gearing?
    It is a great price though!

Also just realised, if I get my company to join the cyclescheme I can get a touche for about £350.

Buy from Pearson and they'll usually sort the gearing/tires etc to your specs - they did for my Touche anyway.