They've taken down Ricco, now they're after Dobbin...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2008 in Pro race
http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/hor ... 31859.html

Yeah, slow news day. Not that it would matter, no one wants to talk about anything.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Was he acting as a drugs mule?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Take an aerobic sport and add lots of money and soon you have a motivation for EPO abuse. The only surprise is that it's taken this long to start testing. Still, one day other mainstream sports will begin to test their competitors. You can see obvious signs - almost red flashing lights - of growth hormone abuse across rugby, football and swimming but few seem to care.

But apparently the horse in Sydney denied the accusations, he said "nay".
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought they were testing for anabolic stirrups ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    What's horsey for "tranquilo"?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • What do jockeys take??

Is there a anti-growth hormone :lol:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    What's horsey for "tranquilo"?
    Stable?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    They've been testing racehorses for EPO for quite some time now. About 6 years ago, IIRC, the Jockey Club was involved in some massive operation testing hundreds of horses. I think that within a day they were able to confirm that all these hundreds of samples had been processed and were negative.

EPO doping of greyhounds is fairly endemic. In Ireland just under 3 years ago there was a fairly big controversy over the supression of positive EPO tests among greyhounds.

It would be interesting to know, which has the greater effect on the performance a racehorse - administration of EPO or whacking it repeatedly across the arse with a stick.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mwo
    mwo Posts: 57
    DavMartinR wrote:
    What do jockeys take??

Is there a anti-growth hormone :lol:

Young Marta might have some suggestions.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    :oops: I thought for a second that the post was about the British hillclimber James dobbin instead of just horses.

Didn't some horses test positive in Beijing :?:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There's actually a Northern Irish jockey called Tony Dobbin... which must rank alongside Marco Velo as one of the most appropriate names in sport.
  • after reading title i was expecting a hill climber exposed piece :D
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I heard that some horses had been privately consulting a gynaecologist, who in turn provided them with a training programme.

Of course for the point of anonymity, these horses couldn't use their real names on the stored blood bags. Instead they used an ingenious scheme of labelling them with the nick name of their jockeys.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I suspect horseplay

(well someone had to say it :lol: )
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    You can see obvious signs - almost red flashing lights - of growth hormone abuse across rugby, football and swimming but few seem to care.

What are these then??
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dobbin got wind that the drug testers would be at the races at the weekend. So he mysteriously pulled out of the his face at the last moment, citing illness.

The ever alert drug testers however tracked him down at his home and knocked on his door. Dobbin opened the door, and in a croaky voice said 'Hello'.

The drug tester said 'gee, are you alright Dobbin?'

To which he replied - 'yes I'll be okay. I'm just a little hoarse'.
  • The potential for EPO in racehorses has been long-known.
    I worked for one of the original pharmaceutical companies that sold EPO in the UK.
    We did get one telephone enquiry from an Irish gentleman, saying that he'd got a very anaemic horse and asking if we could sell him some EPO.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • With ref. to Kleber's post I think footballers getting chunkier but faster and able to last 90 minutes at a ferocious pace has become known as 'athleticism' with the pundits. I believe Kleber might be suggeting it isn't all a result of better diet, new training techniques, faster grass and a following wind (and other McQuaidisms). Given all the money in football......

I read something in the paper a while ago by a former England Rugby player that heavily suggested that getting so chunky and so fast so early was suspect and that as the game got faster and stronger it was in danger of breeding a drug culture as it might be necessary at 18 to be so chunky and fast just to get a look in at the elite level.