Road Bikes and Racks

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hello

I've been looking to buy a bike for some time and work have finally come through and are adopting a cycle to work scheme.

I'd love a road bike and really like the cannondale synapse, but ideally i'd like to be able to fit a rack for some light touring duties occasionally. Does anyone know of the best road bike for these purposes (i think the Giant Defy has this capability, but any others?).

Failing that, are the rack/bags which attach to the seatpost any good?

Thanks

Rhods

Comments

• I have a Topeak seatpost rack, with the largest bag they do. It's nice, does the job.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • The Defy you mentioned is a slightly updated version of the Giant SCR which has essentially the same spec but can be had at a massive discount at the mo. I've toured extensively on an SCR and although the geometry isn't exactly that of a traditional tourer it does a remarkably good job with a rear rack, 26mm tyres and full mudguards.

Carradice do a range of saddlepacks and saddlebags that don't require a rear rack and go up to about 25 litres. They're of the highest quality, as seen dangling under the bums of all the best beardy old tourists and audaxers. If you only plan on hostelling and don't ever intent to carry camping kit then there's really no need for a rack as long as you travel light, but having the ability to carry a rack does open your options.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Rhods wrote:
    Hello

I've been looking to buy a bike for some time and work have finally come through and are adopting a cycle to work scheme.

I'd love a road bike and really like the cannondale synapse, but ideally i'd like to be able to fit a rack for some light touring duties occasionally. Does anyone know of the best road bike for these purposes (i think the Giant Defy has this capability, but any others?).
    Why not go for a light tourer which is more or less like a normal road bike, but with mudguards and you can fit a rack - like say a Dawes Audax or something similar?
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Why not go for a light tourer which is more or less like a normal road bike, but with mudguards and you can fit a rack - like say a Dawes Audax or something similar?

This will be my only road bike (for now) and i will be using it mainly for training, commuting and hopeully some longer weekend runs. I will only be doing a week/10 day long tour once a year as a holiday abroad. Therefore, I'd rather compromise on the touring than the usual riding.

I just wanted to know really whether it was possible (25 litres is quite a bit so carrying ability seems sufficient) and whether I would be causing the frame any damage by loading it up with a rack and a large bag on the seatpost.

Thanks for your comments so far.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i have a Trek Pilot which I now use as a winter bike - but last two years it has been my only bike and it fits most of what you need it to.

With R561 wheels and toupe saddle it made a great day-long ride bike and was light and sporty - but with the stem turned up, the original wheels fitted with a rack and guards it made a great tourer and carried me across the C2C route with luggage last may.

a good bike but sadly not made any more - however, I have to echo the thoughts on the Giant SCR - it has similar geometry to my trek and would easily convert between sporty ride / all- day sportive bike and long distance tourer - in fact when I bought the trek it was between the SCR and the pilot that I had to decide - the trek won because I got a better deal on it and that is all.
  • Have a Van Nicholas Yukon which I have ridden the Raid Pyrenean on this year but is also of having mudguards/rack and large profile tyres. Being titanium also still corrosion free and looking like new after three and a half years @10-12,000miles a year.

Highly recommended after large initial outlay.
    Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth
    Ritchey Breakaway Steel Cross
    Specialized Singlecross Fixed 46:16
  • Have a Van Nicholas Yukon which I have ridden the Raid Pyrenean on this year but is also of having mudguards/rack and large profile tyres. Being titanium also still corrosion free and looking like new after three and a half years @10-12,000miles a year.

Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth

Focus Cayo
    Planet x stealth