I just fitted my first SRAM chain with PowerLink

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Now normally with a Shimano chain I spend about half an hour making sure the chain is travelling in the right direction, double checking I've looped it right and then sealing it with the connector pin, being very careful to push the pin back a little after so that the link bends freely.

Once I did all my checks and after pushing the pin home found I'd looped the chain throught he top of the hole in the front mech, dur.

So, I put my first SRAM chain on today, looped it up, pushed the connecting links through the holes (not caring which way the chain was going to go round), and then pulled the chain apart to set the pins.

Is it that easy? Something that easy has to be too good to be true? Am I going to go out tomorrow and end up with my chain laid out in a line behind me whilst I kiss the tarmac after careening over the handlebars?

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    If you examine the link and make sure it seems properly seated then that's it : I had the same with the first KMC I fitted with a quick link, couldn't believe it was secure. It would even start to come apart when the chain was loose but they have been fine for me.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    prj45 wrote:
    Now normally with a Shimano chain I spend about half an hour making sure the chain is travelling in the right direction, double checking I've looped it right and then sealing it with the connector pin, being very careful to push the pin back a little after so that the link bends freely.

Never knew there was a right and wrong way for the chain ... :oops:

I've got a couple of KMC links waiting to be fitted into my Shimano chain, but like so many things this year, I've "not got round to it".
  • prj45
    iain_j wrote:
    Never knew there was a right and wrong way for the chain ... :oops:

The shimano instructions say the two plates dangling off the chain should point away from the direction of travel, and the connecting pin should lead into the gears, or is it the other way round?

Try doing that with the bike upside down!

*bike workstand for xmas?*
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Those links are great have you tried to undo it yet :lol:

I would give it ago after a ride, they seem to wedge themselves pretty tight, it's always better to know who before you need to for real.

Saves me a good 30 mins of swearing by the side of the road.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    itboffin wrote:
    Those links are great have you tried to undo it yet :lol:

No, and I put quite a lot of power down, I swear the road outside my house has ripplies on it (always forget to change down when I cruise up to home, so normally always leave in lowest gear ratio, and the start's up a hill).

Just went out for a quick spin and it seemed to hold up.

I read that if you take the powerlink off you should chuck it and put a fresh one on?
  • Don't undo and redo too often without replacing the powerlink, mine broke threw the chain and me, did my back in and was off for 3 weeks. Still think they're great tho !
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • prj45
    Don't undo and redo too often without replacing the powerlink, mine broke threw the chain and me, did my back in and was off for 3 weeks. Still think they're great tho !

Who didn't read the intructions!?

Failure to shorten the chain properly or to lock it exactly into place may
    cause damage to the chain and eventually total chain failure, material damage or the rider to fall off his [like Yorkies, it seems powerlinks are not for girls] bicycle resulting in injury.

Now I'm just nervous, I might wear a cricket box for my ride round RP tomorrow... Still kill or cure, if those hill's don't snap it nothing will.
  • Ha ha ! Almost got me there ! I read the instructions, honestly, just undid the chain too often for cleaning without replacing the link.

I also go up a mofo of a hill and kept going up it in 19/20 gear,just to be "double 'ard", don't do that any more ! :lol:
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • prj45
    (are we geeks or what?)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I ditched all my SRAM kit including the chain which loved to rust given even a hint of water, the powerlink seemed okay, why don't they make the chains out of the same material :wink:

Yes we I mean YOU are all geeks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.