PC Problems

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited December 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I have had problems with my Steam games recently. I have posted on the Steam forums but haven't got much in the way of specific advice. Here is the link

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770750

If anyone had any ideas at all, please share them! (On here though - the Steam forum is a real pain to sign up on!)
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Which ISP? They may have instigated new throttling / packet shaping recently.
  • BlackSpur
    Virgin's 20mb service. I don't get the issues with my web browser and these spikes happen regularly. The games run absolutely perfectly in between the spikes. Download tests show my speeds are similar to what they always have been.
  • Have you checked for spyware and malware on your machine?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    check the virgin webby for maintanence schedules, they are currently upgrading the ubr's for the 50mb service.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Secured wireless network? (if you've got one) My mate was wondering why his net was going so slow for 1min - 2mins at a time, it was because 3 folk nearby were leeching his connection.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Virgin also ponce about with packet shaping quite often - shouldn't affect traffic on 80/443 as most of that is webcached.

Take some traceroutes when you get the problem?
  • BlackSpur
    Schmako wrote:
    Secured wireless network? (if you've got one) My mate was wondering why his net was going so slow for 1min - 2mins at a time, it was because 3 folk nearby were leeching his connection.

Our network is secured and there's no-one nearby who would leech our connection (surrounded by pensioners!)
    shin0r wrote:
    Virgin also ponce about with packet shaping quite often - shouldn't affect traffic on 80/443 as most of that is webcached.

Take some traceroutes when you get the problem?

Could you explain this any more simply (as in, how do I do that?).