gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
We still on people?

17:30 onwards at Mud Dock....

Comments

• I'm still up for it.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'll be there briefly, probably in my tux unless the weather is awful - I'll stay in my cycle gear then.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Yeah I am tempted to drop in around 6-ish if I can get away from work ok, come on guts there was loads of banter about this last week...where is everyone? :D:D
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • I was well up for it but thread went well off topic :?
    Lets show these Londoners how to party harty :D
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    A disappointingly timed bout of manflu might keep me away - I've been rough since Monday, so history dictates I should be alright by tomorrow but it seems to be a virulent strain this time round - even my bird's caught it - maybe it's SARS. As long as I don't feel contagious I'll be there, but may not be till shortly after 6, I'll be the one shouting "Anyone here from a bike forum"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Mud Dock? What tube zone is that in? If it's outside zone three I'm not interested.
  • Horton
    itboffin wrote:

You Tube is doing its best of impression of suffering from Man flu too - is that the "What about me, I've got a cold too" one? If so, a classic and I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands that given Men's naturally higher pain threshold, when we're ill, we're really really ill. Child birth has nothing on my sore throat, I can tell you :wink:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Mud Dock, that's near Queens Square isn't it? Unfortunately the commuting time required rule me out.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • itboffin
    Horton wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

You Tube is doing its best of impression of suffering from Man flu too - is that the "What about me, I've got a cold too" one? If so, a classic and I'm glad I'm not the only one who understands that given Men's naturally higher pain threshold, when we're ill, we're really really ill. Child birth has nothing on my sore throat, I can tell you :wink:

I totally agree but good god man never mention the "CB" weapon in public :wink:

Phew! I think we're safe, no one noticed.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If any of you get hurt whilst riding under the influence, here's the hospital to aim for.

th_34213_DSC00797_122_465lo.JPG
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Fellow Yokels!

I fear I will have to withdraw from the evening's fesivities. Similar to Horton I woke up this morning with a small tickle in my throat. Over the day this has mutated into what I now suspect to be SARS.

Apologies. I hope those that do make it have a great time...
  • Horton
    itboffin wrote:
    Horton wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I totally agree but good god man never mention the "CB" weapon in public :wink:

Phew! I think we're safe, no one noticed.

Doh, forgot that there might be a female of the species lurking around...

Anyway, the seagulls round here have definitely infected me with the human variant of HN51 virus which combined with my suspected SARS has all but written me off! The only consolation is that I fear I might have accidentally coughed on some unsuspecting colleagues.

I'm expecting Dustin Hoffman round mine by the time I get home dressed in a big green tent with convenient window and breathing apparatus...

Have a good night chaps - watch out for the docks on the way home
  • gtvlusso
    So, a couple of us tonight!

Can re-arrange for next week.....if people want to.
  • people do seem to be dropping like flies!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • gtvlusso
    Attica, Gert, Stefanos, Redvee and me it is then......anyone else?!
  • itboffin
    Sorry folks I can't make it this time, as much as I'd love too the logistics via FGW are plain stupid, but I'll def. be up for the next one and will book an overnight stay.

Have fun take pics and make sure not to lose revdee :lol:

Oh and no racing :lol:
  • redvee
    They won't lose me as I've already said I'm double booked with an appointment I've paid for. Next week is better for me too.
  • attica
    An inauspicious start, GTV, Gert and myself, two cyclists and a pratt in a tux
    Not only that but Mud Dock was closed, we decamped to the Shakespeare just down the road and had a good old chinwag. bizarrely the pub was full of other chaps also in their best bib and tucker, so I didn't stand out like too much of a sore thumb.

It was good to meet you both and hopefully we'll have more luck and peeps next time.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Indeedy it's good the hardcorew few turned out!

...and in true yocalville stylee only us yokels could organise a drink at a pub that was closed! classic

however, definately a good meeting place for future Yocal SCR drinks (providing its open next time!) and few plans were hatched....watch this space
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    Sorry guys. I too was hit by a case of the flu. In bed for 3 days so it definitely was SARS. Up for the next time though!
  • gtvlusso
    Great to meet you guys too!! Few bits to chew on out of conversation - trip to velodrome in Newport (Velodrome in Bristol is death on a stick!). And a monthly (bi monthly more likely) meet - beer session!

Again - great to meet you, lets do this more often!
  • attica
    There's a velodrome in Bristol?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • redvee
    Attica wrote:

Don't you know this secret of SCR in Brizzle? No, neither do I. Please tell.
  • gtvlusso
    redvee wrote:
    Attica wrote:

Don't you know this secret of SCR in Brizzle? No, neither do I. Please tell.

Aha!!!!!! There is - it is up at the Airbus round-a-bout on the junction of the A38 and A4174. I have only been told of it's existance, but intend to scout the zone this week on my newly built fixie (Once I have fitted a brake!). I have been told that it is only for the brave......About 10 mins cycle from my pad.....been meaning to go up there, but never done it!

However, we used to go to the Newport velodrome with the rowing club......bike's can be hired there, you need either trainer or Look Delta cleats....this would probably be a safer bet!
  • Horton
    The Bristol BMX Track is up round there too - now that really would be death on a stick on your shiny new fixie - with or without brakes! Let us know what you find - I'm always up for trying something new (once I'm SARS free)
  • As far as I'm aware the thing you are refering to at the Airbus roundabout is a speedway cycle track, not a proper velodrome..

http://www.filtoncsc.co.uk/

It's also got a rather funky new BMX area next to it.
    FCN: 5
  • gtvlusso
    As far as I'm aware the thing you are refering to at the Airbus roundabout is a speedway cycle track, not a proper velodrome..

http://www.filtoncsc.co.uk/

It's also got a rather funky new BMX area next to it.

Aha! I just keep seeing "cycle track" signs up there.....gonna investigate anway!