Help! Dent in top tube

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited December 2008 in The workshop
I'm having the worst luck trying to get my CX project under way at this rate it will be summer before its finished.

So I bought a Fort frame which turned out to have a damaged head tube, now returned. Then I bought a Dolan cross frame which has a small dent in the top tube, argh!

This dent is small very small but all the same its a new frame from a large company, should I send it back or live with hopefully just a cosmetic dent?

Is this safe to ride?

It's such a beautiful frame and I really want to build and ride it before the new year.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Is it a small ding or a proper dent? What material is the frame? I'd imagine (in a non-expert manner) that a dented steel frame would be healthier than a 'dented' carbon one.
  • itboffin
    It's a very small ding/dimple by the looks of it under the paint job, I have to admit i'm a MASSOOF TART and looks do matter but more importantly is this safe?

If I put a sticker over it no one would notice its that small, but such a lovely frame and I want to ride it.

it's Aluminium, very thick tubing all over, much thinker than a road frame.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chaley
    chaley Posts: 100
    If it was mine it would be going back, even if you put a sticker over it you'll always know that it's there. It would be a shame to build up the bike just to be worried about the frame. The likely hood of the frame actually being compromised is very small, but if there was a problem later on would any manufacturer honour the warranty on a damaged frame?
    Chaley
    2009 langster

Blasphemy is the only victimless crime
  • picture ?
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    send it back, it's damaged.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Nope I'm keeping it, I've fallen in love, it's have the BB installed right now, after consulting the LBS he confirmed what I already knew it's just a cosmetic tiny ding and to be honest give the planned off roading I have lined up that hardly going to show.

This frame is an experiment for me if it goes well and looks good I plan to make a couple to sell, without dings or dents :wink:

I've started a blog for my CX project, i'll post a link next week. I can see this is going to be another expensive "experiment" :D