training camps 2009 - where, when, why

velodromeorguk
velodromeorguk Posts: 219
where and when are you going on a training camp in 2009 and why do you go there? you going

http://www.velodromeshop.org.uk - Track Cycling Shop from Velodrome.org.uk - Casco, Bont Shoes, Dolan, Campag, Reflex Nutrition, Sugino and more
http://www.sportstrainingsolutions.com - Cycling and Sports Therapy in Mallorca

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Just the once please - I understood the question the first time :wink:!
  • I am off to Majorca in late Feb with about 17 others, all organised by a mate. Easy jet Bristol - Palma Majorca with accomodation in Puerto Pollenca. 1 week in the warm getting the miles in is all good to me...
  • Probably the Dave Lloyd coaching camp in Denia, Costa Blanca, in March. Did it last year and it was brilliant. The group wasn't too big - around 30 riders and was split into two groups based on ability.

Both groups did around 650 kms for the week with loads of climbing which is what I was after. Some of the riders who were coached by Dave were in their final preparations for the start of the racing season but there were plenty of others who were sportive riders and less intense in their daily objectives.

Hotel was great too and food was all inclusive and pretty decent. Can't fault the area, quiiet roads, great surfaces and different routes every day. Have a look on Dave's website or the ciclocostablanca one (they run it for him) for details for 2009.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    We are off to Mallorca 10th of January, then again in mid April. Why? For the sun mostly - it's got to be better than here and I need a break from work. Other reasons for us are: in January it's cheaper than the Canary Islands (flights are cheaper though accommodation is about the same) otherwise we would have preferred the Canaries for the weather. Also, the road surfaces are (mostly) very good in Mallorca and there are some nice climbs too. Depends on your budget, but you can go cheap or more expensive in Mallorca. Do it yourself with a cheap self catering apartment or a cheap full package deal, or you can go with the more expensive option of a cycling specific tour group. I have done both. If you want to do the latter and get fully supported, guided rides, then I can recommend GPM10. We are going again with them in April.