Spares to take on an all day ride

Mattbot2
Mattbot2 Posts: 384
edited December 2008 in MTB rides
Hello,

Going out just after new years on an all day XC ride, nothing extreme, but want to know what you guys would take. We'll be out there 9am - 3pm i'd imagine.
2q2kfno.png
^^^ Click for pictures of my bike ^^

Comments

• Powerlinks
    Pads
    Tube
    Bike Multi-tool (including chainbreaker and tyre levers)
    Leatherman type multi-tool (must include pliers)
    Mini pump and puncture repair kit.
    Couple of cable ties.
    Duct Tape (wrapped around pump)
    Space blanket (stuffed behind hydoback bladder)
    One of those small packets of tissues.
    Couple of moist wipes (nicked out of KFC)
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Powerlinks
    Pads
    Tube
    Bike Multi-tool (including chainbreaker and tyre levers)
    Leatherman type multi-tool (must include pliers)
    Mini pump and puncture repair kit.
    Couple of cable ties.
    Duct Tape (wrapped around pump)
    Space blanket (stuffed behind hydoback bladder)
    One of those small packets of tissues.
    Couple of moist wipes (nicked out of KFC)
    as above, but I take at least 2 tubes
    Mech hanger
    Half a dozen links of a chain

All these stay in my camelbak at all times, sod's law dictates that if you don;t think you'll need something & you take it out of the camelbak you will need it.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    More food than you think you will need and spare cash
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    If going off the beaten-track & self-guided, I'd consider a GPS - set a waypoint at the start. And only power it up if needed, or for the return. I still use my trusty Garmin GPSmap 60cs.

Clothes - we'll assume you are suitably attired!! And have a paclight/similar should it get windy/wet.

Mobile phone - probably the best emergency communication device around. *REMEMBER* even if you have no signal (for your phone carrier), during an emergency call your phone will latch onto *any* available phone companies network.

If you are starting from somewhere public (eg. a pub carpark), perhaps make yourselves know to the landlord. Say what you are doing. Where you are going. What time you expect to be back at. And, what time you should be back no later than.

Mini first-aid kit, and perhaps a spray-on plaster.

Some 'Nuun' tablets - although, I tend to resort to them on the hottest days of the year.

Some energy gels - just in case you need instant energy.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • With the time you're intending to get back, I'd chuck a cheap LED light set in my pack, just incase you get delayed and want to shortcut home along a road as it's getting dusk.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    All of the above is sound advice, but sods law will dictate you wont need any of it if you take it, and will have a great day!.

On our recent Afan trip we took everything including the kitchen sink, and didnt need any of it, then had a fun morning at Swinley and had more mechanicals than you could shake a stick at, and a lot less prepared for it.

In my bag at ALL times:

MultiTool
    Leatherman type knife multitool with pliers (Check deal extreme!!) - Mine's great for about £3!! - Saved a ride recently.
    Park Tools tyre levers
    Small roll of gaffer tape
    First Aid Kit (Wilkinsons - £4 - bargain)
    Pump
    Inner Tube
    Patches
    Brake Pads
    Waterproof Jacket
    Spare Change
    Phone (Fully charged)

If you can, grab a map of the area you will be going around, can be useful if your lost.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • 2 tubes, Park instant patches, pump, multitool, 2 spare chain links, money, hipflask, haribo.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    i carry far too much crap in my oversized saddle bag.

But what have I ever used

Lots of inner tubes ( plus levers, pump etc )
    puncture kit on one occassion when I had more than 2 flats in a single ride
    small pliers with cutter have been used a lot for tightening bolts, and on one occassion for fitting a new gear cable. Good for getting sharps out of tyres
    8mm/9mm spanner for brake adjustment and mudguard nuts
    *sharp knife for cutting various things back in shape
    *4mm allen key on seatpost
    *5mm allen key on headset and rear derailuer
    small screw driver on rear derailluer
    small bottle of oil on chain
    *chain tool to try and fix stiff link ( it didn't ). Also to do single speed conversion after derailluer exploded
    cable ties for reattaching mudguards
    duct tape as a tyre boot
    old bit of tyre as tyre boot
    short ( 1/2" I think ) m5 bolts. Fixed mudguards, spd cleats...
    insulating tape to hold on stuff like lights with broken fittings

* all these tools are part of topeak alien

What have I never used
    spare bits of chain and powerlink ( although I did once give a powerlink away )
    adjustable spanner (don't carry this anymore)
    mudguard eyelet bolts - everything else has gone wrong with the mudguards
    Big cable ties- they look handy but I've never used one
    large screwdriver (don't carry any more)
    chalk in the puncture kit

I carry all this stuff for long distance road rides.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mattbot2 wrote:
    Going out just after new years on an all day XC ride, nothing extreme, but want to know what you guys would take.
    Check the bike before you go. Take a puncture repair kit (that works), multi-tool, power link, something to eat/drink and a moby.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    mcbazza wrote:
    If you are starting from somewhere public (eg. a pub carpark), perhaps make yourselves know to the landlord. Say what you are doing. Where you are going. What time you expect to be back at. And, what time you should be back no later than.

And if you're going to use a pub car-park, at least phone beforehand and ask if it's OK, and have the good grace to patronise the premises after your ride even if it's only for a quick half of shandy (whatever that might be, real men don't drink shandy. Or halves.).

Practice making simple repairs at home before you venture out too - it's okay carrying all the stuff with you but it won't amount to a hill of beans if you suddenly find that you can't fix a puncture or swap brake pads at the trailside. In the rain. When it's going dark.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic