Cant connect to wireless network

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,170
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
We have a wireless router plugged into a cable modem. For two weeks I was able to connect to the wireless network no problems. The other day my connection failed, I could see other networks from neighbours etc, but not ours. Everyone else in the house can connect as normal just not me, the router is still sending out the signal my PC doesn't 'see' it though.

Any ideas whats going on?
Mañana

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    yes,

your router hates you and your PC

Take it personally and instead go out on your bike

Is this the solution?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Hmm my computer's like this at times, it can 'see' the router but won't connect to it. My housemate's computer will connect ok, so i tried his wireless adapter on my PC but still had trouble.

I'd be interested in 'answers' to this too.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Reset the router/modem and PC if necessary. That normally works
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I will try the old 'switch it off & on' technique on the router tonight and see what that does. Its weird though that its just my PC and I have tried restating that to no avail.
    Mañana
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    I am likely to enter this murky world after Christmas so I too will be interested in your findings

Snake

I4.jpg
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    works for the Royal Navy....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,165
    Reboots all round. That usually sorts things.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    There never is a definitive solution to it. I'll fix something on mines, then another thing will go wrong. You'd think they'd make setting one up a bit easier.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    is anyone using vista? Introducing a computer with vista into our house has totally fkd it up for all of us.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I have vista business on my laptop and the rest of the house has XP but no real probs with the wireless thingy excpet the probs caused by Virgin media every now and again.
    I am possibly the only person who quite likes vista.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I tried a wireless router thingy and it worked first time, however I decided against it as I couldn't secure the network and there are enough freebies around me. Was a problem when I went back to wired as I had to regain my IP address or similar.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Can you connect to it using an Ethernet cable ?

Have you reset the router ? There should be a little pinhole in the back - the type you would stick a pin or a pen nib in. You will need to use the ethernet cable to reset your wireless connection.

If I'm honest though, it does sound like your router is duff, as you say, you can see other connections from your computer.

On another note. Vista is ace. Theres nothing wrong with it for your average home user. Some heavy business users might find a few compatibility issues with existing software/hardware but that is it.