Commando, undies and cycling the commuters guide.

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
Ok hear me out. I'm going to try and keep this a clean as possible...

Why do people cycle without undies when they are wearing cycle shorts? I've tried both and am not bothered by either, if anything I'm a little warmer wearing undies but usually rock the commando.

Anywho. I've never needed to pack undies so religously before, I'm usually wearing the ones I need for the day at work - except when I cycle. So yet again I've forgotten to pack undies. I'm not wearing my cycle shorts under my work trousers because I've been told this is a big no, why? So have had to go commando.

Anyway there seems to be unwritten rules of underwear and commuting/cycling such as crotch rot (what is that?) so hopefully this can be a mature do's and don't's of underwear and cycling and if should/can wear underwear and cycle, advice on which ones to buy.

By undies I mean, pants, bra's, socks, vests (underwear garments).

Questions that plague me:

What do you do when you've forgotten to pack your undies?

Packing the bag for the commute to work do you do anything specific to remember to pack undies?

Do you keep spare (clean) undies at work?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    personal hygenie
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Anything with a seam in an area which moves will start chafing after a few miles and once it's chafed it's chafed. Hence cycling shorts and tights are designed for use without underwear.

(also, for the vain among us, you get mega-VPL when you try and wear pants under lycra)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have never had any issues with the aforementioned crotch rot, but find it more comfortable not wearing anything under my lycra shorts.

I have spare pants and socks at work, just in case, but usually remember to bring clean ones every day.

As far as wearing lycra under my suit...(keep 3 at work, along with 5 shirts, which get drycleaned, laundered and pressed at a shop 2 minutes down the road....), I have padded lycras, which don't feel so comfortable under a suit. Not sure if the pad shapre is visible or not....maybe i am being a little self conscious.

Failing all of that.....go go co mman do!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've forgotten my boxers once... I went commando... what other choice is there? But I guess you have to be very careful about the turtles head :lol:

it's forgetting socks that annoys me as you look like an utter gimp
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've forgotten my boxers once... I went commando... what other choice is there? But I guess you have to be very careful about the turtles head :lol:

it's forgetting socks that annoys me as you look like an utter gimp

Lol! Have forgotten both boxers and socks on seperate occasions. Luckily I had dark Endura cycling socks so wore those, and yup went commando raher than lycra under trousers!
  • I like wearing some thermal pants on my commute. As a bus driver I often start at 6am, so am leaving home at 5am. I 'm skinny as a rake and so get cold very easily. Any warmth I can have is well recieved. I've heard someone talking about this subject, use the term Tesco Value Prawn before...
    As for clean pants, etc. I take a backpack with me with everything in I need. I know about the VPL, but my Mum said my shorts are almost see-through. Not sure which is worse :oops:
    As for why you cannot wear your cycling shorts underneath your suit, think about it. When you finish a ride you don't keep the shorts on, you take them off and leave them to dry or wash them. Why would you want to have your *parts* in such a sweaty enviroment all day?

p.s. I for one can't wait for summer. I can wear just my lycra shorts and top and not be so bloody freezing all the time!
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • easiest thing is to keep one spare of everything under your desk. Including shirt and trousers. Forgetting undies or socks no big deal. Forgetting a shirt and facing the prospect of sitting in a dirty wet stinking cycling top for the day? not good ;)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ok hear me out. I'm going to try and keep this a clean as possible...

Why do people cycle without undies when they are wearing cycle shorts? I've tried both and am not bothered by either, if anything I'm a little warmer wearing undies but usually rock the commando.

Try riding 100k with undies under your lycra - bet you'll soon see why it's not the done thing.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    maybe the point is though that most of us don't have a 100k commute. :lol:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Cotton (I'm assuming you're not a wearer of silk on the the bike) will not-so-slowly grind your under-areas into mincemeat. And I don't mean the Xmas pie variety . :shock:

Wearing your shorts under civvies will (a) incubate some germ warfare pathogens, and (b) make you look like your nappy needs changing. Neither of those are big hits with the lay-deez, so I'm told.
    What do you do when you've forgotten to pack your undies?

Swear a lot. Then pray that there's a pair left in the store I keep at work for such occasions. If there isn't, revert to swearing a lot. Think about making a pair from some A4 and a few staples. Think better of that idea. Look at the roll of sellotape. Can the paper undies completely. Go commando. Think about buying some new ones during the day. Realise that going commando is OK, so scratch the new undies idea. Tell everyone about my "funny day". Fail to notice people are looking nervy and backing away. Get arrested. Give a false name. Ring a mate to bail me out of the police station. Remember not to forget undies again.
    Packing the bag for the commute to work do you do anything specific to remember to pack undies?

Remember the shame of being arrrested.
    Do you keep spare (clean) undies at work?

See above. It definitely works best if they are clean. You're thinking on the right lines, and no mistaking.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I've only forgotten the essentials once or twice, but my commute is only 3.5 miles so it's no big deal to turn round and go back (a pain in the a**e though). I've trained myself to remember to pack them in the pannier just as naturally as putting them on in the first place on a non-cycling morning.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    going commando not such a problem for some of us..... :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • DonDaddyD
    edited December 2008
    I fear getting or incubating any germs in the "piston room" of my cycling body. Its hallowed ground, having been worshipped upon by a lucky chosen few... So I go commando when cycling to maintain its divinity but never really thought about what germs could breed that couldn't while I was just wearing the cycle shorts.

I actually forget to pack underwear most days a week now. Either I subconciously like going commando... "Oooo look at me Matron..." or I'm forgetful.

SO I think I'm going to create a secret spare undies store in the office.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hope no one stumbles upon said store by accident...
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I fear getting or incubating any germs in the "piston room" of my cycling body. Its hallowed ground, worshipped upon by a lucky chosen few...

I actually forget to pack underwear most days a week now. Either I subconciously like going commando... "Oooo look at me Matron..." or I'm forgetful.

You are having a Homer Simpson day.

There's just no need for pants under cycling shorts, its like wearing pants under swimming trunks - you can do it, but its not quite what Nike had in mind....

I'm staggered that you don't feel unfomfortable with pants under the cycling shorts though. There's no sensation down there! - your saddle needs adjusting or you'll never have children.

I digress.

Commando till a visit to Pants4u at lunchtime, for me.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_cruris

Thats what'll happen ^^^^^^^

What they don't tell you is the next stage of infection, now thats really nasty!!!!!! :twisted:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knob+rot
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Hope no one stumbles upon said store by accident...

This is a worry! I think I'll tell my manager to cover my back...
    going commando not such a problem for some of us.....

Stop talking dirty! :wink:

Actually I thought commando was more complicated for girls... (I'm leaving that one there).
    Food Chain number = 4

• Undies under lycra = a really big no-no.

In fact, if I'm out and about after work for dinner/drinks and have trousers/shorts on, undies under those also = a big no-no for the cycle home if I can't be bothered to change.

If, however, you're wearing a skirt, forgetting undies is a bit more of an issue. Which is why I usually have a few spares in my desk, or equally why I am glad that M&S opens at 9.
  • blackworx
    blackworx Posts: 123
    edited December 2008
    Swear a lot, go commando and hope no one notices. Make mental note to have spare undies stashed in as many places as possible.

Next day, outside supermarket, hurriedly stuff avalanche of undies back in bag after rummaging for bike lock which has yet again worked its way to bottom of said bag.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • going commando is great. When I work from home tend to be naked sitting at my desk. Something satisfying knowing that everybody you speak to in the office has a dress code.

Always go commando under the lycra. Some much more comfortable.

Women have it easy ;-)
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • DonDaddyD
    Undies under lycra = a really big no-no.

In fact, if I'm out and about after work for dinner/drinks and have trousers/shorts on, undies under those also = a big no-no for the cycle home if I can't be bothered to change.

If, however, you're wearing a skirt, forgetting undies is a bit more of an issue. Which is why I usually have a few spares in my desk, or equally why I am glad that M&S opens at 9.

Can you hear that... Its the sound of Don_Don's heart exploding....
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    easiest thing is to keep one spare of everything under your desk. Including shirt and trousers. Forgetting undies or socks no big deal. Forgetting a shirt and facing the prospect of sitting in a dirty wet stinking cycling top for the day? not good ;)

I'd have to buy a new shirt and wear it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    easiest thing is to keep one spare of everything under your desk. Including shirt and trousers. Forgetting undies or socks no big deal. Forgetting a shirt and facing the prospect of sitting in a dirty wet stinking cycling top for the day? not good ;)

I'd have to buy a new shirt and wear it

I rotate them and take each one home the day after wearing it. That way in case of incompetence/emergency/hangover the next day I'll still have one (hopefully not smelly) shirt handy.
    Trek XO1
    FCN4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not really a problem if I forget mine seeing as I usually don't wear any :shock:
    unless the weather is very cold or the trousers are unsuitable for covert action, such as thin or very slightly see through material.

I had an embarrassing incident a couple of months ago whilst at work, as I was leaving the office one evening (v late) I popped to the gents on the way out only to have the zipper from my flies pings off into the toilet, the journey home on the tube followed by the train was traumatic to say the least. :oops:

I now include a needle and thread plus safety pins on my travels.

PS. I keep a full weeks (7 days) clothes -pants in the office, including different coloured socks, shoes and matching belts. :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I commute in work clothes, but wouldn't ever wear anything under cycling shorts.

However I swim before work, and so wear just my swimsuit and trousers (and jacket if cold) for the bike to the gym, and have on occasion, forgotten to pack underwear. Forgotten knickers can be overcome, but a forgotten bra? Doesn't really work. Luckily my office is only a mile from home, can can pop back if necessary to collect any forgotten stuff...;)
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Jen J wrote:
    I commute in work clothes, but wouldn't ever wear anything under cycling shorts.

However I swim before work, and so wear just my swimsuit and trousers (and jacket if cold) for the bike to the gym, and have on occasion, forgotten to pack underwear. Forgotten knickers can be overcome, but a forgotten bra? Doesn't really work. Luckily my office is only a mile from home, can can pop back if necessary to collect any forgotten stuff...;)

Have you considered running with the bike shouldered cross style whilst wearing a skinsuit :P

Oh! yes welcome back, it's been very cold 'n icy and that's just the forum :P :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jen J wrote:

Yeah, that would be an issue if all you've got is a cossie. A sports bra, although not very comfortable, can be worn in place of a normal one, unless you're wearing a white shirt.
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    Have you considered running with the bike shouldered cross style whilst wearing a skinsuit :P

No. I haven't.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • DonDaddyD
    Jen J wrote:

Surely that's psychological more than anything else.

Women wouldn't have evolved the breasts (in the way that they are) if only to require a bra to support them.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jen J
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jen J wrote:

Surely that's psychological more than anything else.

Women wouldn't have evolved the breasts (in the way that they are) if only to require a bra to support them.

It's less to do with the supportive qualities - more the fact that it would look a little, ahem, *wrong*...;)
    Madone

It's all about me...