Road rims and 28c tyres?

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
A colleague commutes on a Speciazed flat bar road bike which has narrow road rims. Tired of punctures and thin tyres he would like to get some 28c Marathon Plus tyres. I have these on my touring bike but I am not sure if they will fit his rims. Similar in width to Mavic MA3's and Open Pro. He currently uses road tyres at 28c.

Any feed back much appreciated.

Gary

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You can buy Marathon Plus tyres in 25C or 28C, so no reason why you can't use with those rims. But, personally, I think something like Continental Gatorskins (or the Schwalbe equivalent) would be a better choice. 'Punctureproof' tyres are heavier than normal tyres. A good quality tyre with a kevlar protection laver will offer a good level of protection without a lot of extra weight.

If punctures are a real problem you might also want to consider using sealant like 'slime' or 'Sludge'. ('though yes that adds weight!).
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks for your advice Andy I will pass it on.

Very much appreciated.
  • I've used 28c Gatorskins on MA3s. No problems fitting them.

ff
  • GaryGkn
    The Marathon Plus seem to look bigger than a normal 28c?
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    i run 28c specialized armandillo on a pair of mavic open pro. mavic recommends 19 to 28mm tires on the open pro so that's no problem. armandillo wears well and had no puncture problem so far on harsh london roads, it is on the heavy side though. i once had vittoria rubino pro, fast rolling and really light but they wear out real quick and do tend to pucture quite easily. hope my humble opinion helps.
  • Second winter commuting on gatorskins on country roads with associated flints and thorns. Touch wood they've been brilliant.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed