A3 nutter

bice
bice Posts: 772
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
I passed a cyclist riding over the M25 intersection on the A3 on Sunday. Cars were weaving in front and behind him, and, with western sun right in drivers' eyes, it was just lethal.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    That bit of road is a motorway to all extents and purposes..............except it doesn't have a hard shoulder you can dive onto. I really can see no possible enjoyment in riding on such a road even though you are legally entitled to.
  • I've seen a few riders on the A3, there aren't many regulars though ;)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There have been at least 3 fatal accidents with riders on the A3 near the M25 - the cars are simply coming off the M25 too fast to expect to deal with a cyclist in the middle of the carriageway. There are plenty of small roads nearby to avoid it
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I get annoyed by some of the idiots when I'm driving my car on the A3, I wouldn't dream of tackling it on my bike!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I had to look it up on Google Earth to see what it was actually like, having done that, I don't think I would want to ride on that road, looks too dangerous. I'm wondering if that road is designated a motorway, I know some A roads are officially motorways and one such road up my way is the A5300 which becomes the M57 after a while.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I'm wondering if that road is designated a motorway
    No it's definitely an A-road - but anyone driving down it would be hard-pressed to tell that - it's 3 lanes both carriageways with a dividing crash barrier - the only tell tale sign is that there's no hard shoulder.