52cm 2006 Tarmac Comp - Is it too small for male 5'9"?

soulcrew35
soulcrew35 Posts: 4
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Is anyone 5ft 9in riding a 52cm Specialized Tarmac comp 2006 model (or similar)? I'm just a bit concerned (haven't got the bike yet) that it will be too small for me. My inside leg measurement is 31in. Could changing crank lengths and going for a longer stem help? Any advice/experience most welcome. Thanks Mike.

Comments

• Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    I have the same inside leg but ride a 58cm frame.

52 could be considerably too small.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Meds1962 wrote:
    I have the same inside leg but ride a 58cm frame.

52 could be considerably too small.

Wierd my "cycling" Inside leg is also 31" and I'd go for the 52cm, 58cm would be far far far far too big.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Possibly. I'd try a 54cm frame. I'm similar height ride a medium Giant. A 58 would be too big, but then again as meds said he rides a large so we're all different.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Try 'em out, different strokes for different folks an all that, i got 34 inside leg an 6 ft tall, have a 54cm c'dale seems fine wheras the 57cm kuota bit sketchy :?
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    some people prefer havinga frame thats too small for them like bettini did becuase they are easier to move about
  • I think it would be too small, in which case you can give it to me :D
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Probably too small. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inside leg and ride 56cm Specializeds.

A longer stem would sort the reach issues out but may adveserly affect the handling.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Probably too small. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inside leg and ride 56cm Specializeds.

A longer stem would sort the reach issues out but may adveserly affect the handling.

see how different we all are - I'm 5ft8 and 31"inside leg - I have 2 '54' specializeds (a roubaix and a langster) but would consider myself between 52 and 54 - I wouldn't look at a 56 and would consider that your bike is too big for you!
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    Probably too small. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inside leg and ride 56cm Specializeds.

see how different we all are - I'm 5ft8 and 31"inside leg - I have 2 '54' specializeds (a roubaix and a langster) but would consider myself between 52 and 54 - I wouldn't look at a 56 and would consider that your bike is too big for you!

I agree. I'm 5'8, inside leg of 30.5 and I ride a 52.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    And I'm 5.8, with inside leg of 30 and ride a 54.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Get yourself measured up and find your recommended 'reach' i.e. toptube dimension - far more critical that seattube. A 52cm might be a touch too small but you're unlikely to need a 56 or a 58
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    So true. Bike sizes seem incomprehensible, which is why you should sit on one first.
  • i'm 5ft 7 and a half and i bought my cannondale in a 56 then after doing london to paris and getting neck and shoulder ache i went and sat on my neighbours cannondale 54cm and felt 100x better, My cannondale system six 54cm liquigas colours will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested, its done about 100 miles but it has two small chips out of the paintwork where my mtb pedals collided with it but i have touched it up with the same green paint. private mail me if interested
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't understand why people go out and buy and bike, or buy one 'blind' online, because it looks like it 'might' fit them.

Getting yourself measured is the only way you know if it's the right size for you. A test ride on the right size frame of your choice would reinforce this. A LBS who knows what they're on about helps also.

Every frame has a different geometry.
  • I'm 5'10 with a 33" 'cycling' inside leg and ride a 56cm Focus which has a 56.5 cm horizontal top tube and it seems just about right for me. More so the TT size rather than the ST which could be slightly smaller if I was to be really picky.

I believe bikes with a sloping top tube measure differently for example If I was to go for a Pinarello (or was it a Colnago) for the correct size I would have to go for a 52cm bike (horizontal ST sizing - 4cm)

EDIT It was Colnago

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/8527/Colnago-Primavera-Complete-Bike.html?referrer=froogle

This is how Colnago size up their bikes Specialized might be totally different tho...

In fact I have just found the Specialized sizing charts here

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39249&eid=115

Just click on the geometry tab...

I'll shut up now....