Iljo Keisse positive

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited December 2008 in Pro race
The six day rider has been rumbled by a positive test. It's front page news on http://www.nieuwsblad.be/index.html right now. Cyclingnews just featured an interview with his ride partner Bartko. Keisse says he's asking for a re-test.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Shome mishtake shurely?

Everyone knows that trackies don't do drugs. The lab must have got his sample mixed up with that of some road-racer.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    He does a bit of road racing too doesn't he? I remember seeing his name (not exactly hard to forget) on the startlists of some of the early season Belgian semi-classics last year.

Anyway, they don't even ride non-stop for six days in a row any more! Wimps!
  • It's alledged, according to cyclingnews.com, to be a drug called Cathine, an appetite suppresant, decongestant and stimulant.
    Comes from a shrub called Khat, I wonder if he's been on some herbal cold treatment?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Well, according to the Belgian press there were two illegal substances in his test; one Cathine and the other still not made public. I'm sure the second still secret substance is the serious one. Well, I hope so, otherwise we'd live in very strange times indeed when riders end their careers at 25 after being caught for an appetite suppresant/stimulant based on a herbal recreational drug.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    He does a bit of road racing too doesn't he? I remember seeing his name (not exactly hard to forget) on the startlists of some of the early season Belgian semi-classics last year.

Anyway, they don't even ride non-stop for six days in a row any more! Wimps!

Yeah he does do some road racing aswell. he rode the Tour Of Britain a couple of years ago. I'll be interested to see what the 'banned substance' is to be honest.

CERA perhaps?
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • Wasn't Stefan Schumacher found positive for Cathine a few years back?
  • FJS wrote:
    Well, according to the Belgian press there were two illegal substances in his test; one Cathine and the other still not made public. I'm sure the second still secret substance is the serious one. Well, I hope so, otherwise we'd live in very strange times indeed when riders end their careers at 25 after being caught for an appetite suppresant/stimulant based on a herbal recreational drug.
    The problem with some of the appetite supression drugs/supplements is not the effect they have directly, rather that they act to mask the use of other drugs and it is for this reason they are found on the WADA prohibited substances list.
  • Kléber
    I could be wrong but I think the appetite suppressants contain stimulants so they are banned. For many years doctors prescribed amphetamines for weight loss, sending chunky housewives into a domestic frenzy and chubby officeworkers into verbal diarrhoea. Cyclists taking weight loss products can take large doses for a stimulant boost or to mask other, direct, abuse of stimulants.
  • Cathine is an amphetamine-related molecule.
    It's one of the substances, where an absolute prohibition isn't in place, levels above 5 microgrammes per ml of urine are indicative of a positive test.
    Also associated with haemorrhagic stroke.
    As for being banned for it, it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a competitor has found themselves in trouble for taking what they assumed to be a harmless product.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    Yes, Mekon was caught, and let off, for this substance a few years ago.
    He then moved on to better stuff....
  • Kléber
    Well if it's not being used as a masking agent and Keisse did take it an appetite suppressant, he's tested positive for stupidity.