Cannondale Synapse

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all

Does anyone have any expereience of the Tiagra version of this bike? I tried one yesterday and think I got on with it, but need to try others. I'm goingto be buying ny first road bike and it will be based on how it feels, but I'd appreciate any views on quality etc from those with experience.

Thanks

P.s. I think I should be a 58cm (6'2" with 35" inside leg), sound right as a ballpark starting figure?

Comments

• Let's see if we can get the ball rolling.....................
    I was looking at the Synapse, didn't get it but from what i've read it seems a very good all rounder, ie quite racy but still fairly comfordtable for all day rides, i have an old c'dale r500 and love it, any-one with experience feel free to jump in :wink:
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    I really like cannondales, I have a caad5 framed one (a 56 and I'm about 6' with a 34'' inside leg) so your sizing sounds about right depending on how stretched you want to be on the bike. FWIW I think cannondale produce some of the nicest 'mass produced' frames going, the detail and though processes that obviously went into the design and manufacture really shows through
  • Rhods
    Thanks for jumping in guys.

Stefanos - that's exactly the kind of versatile bike i'm looking for, so that's what I wanted to hear!

Thanks to Al also - I saw the matt black finished one and really liked the frame.

Two questions -
    1. What is the difference between the Synapse and Caad9 framesets?
    2. Is the Synapse frame worth upgrading?

Thanks again.
  • I have a 2008 Synapse 105 - in pearlescent white. It's great. Did a 400k ride from St.Malo to Paris on in it in 2.5 days - should have used chamois cream tbf :oops: .

Nice bike tho.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • sdg_77
    sdg_77 Posts: 11
    2Fast4Love wrote:
    I have a 2008 Synapse 105 - in pearlescent white. It's great. Did a 400k ride from St.Malo to Paris on in it in 2.5 days - should have used chamois cream tbf :oops: .

Nice bike tho.

I have the same - a Synapse105 in white - changed the saddle for a Specialized BG - but that is just my preference - and I had the stem put on inverted.

It's a very comfortable bike - picks up speed really well when 'pressing on' and I've found it stable and forgiving over some of the rough road surfaces around here.

As far as I know the tiagra model is the same frame.

If it helps - I am 5'11 and have a 56cm frame.

sdg.
    FCN 8 (ish)
  • Al_38
    Rhods wrote:
    Thanks for jumping in guys.

Stefanos - that's exactly the kind of versatile bike i'm looking for, so that's what I wanted to hear!

Thanks to Al also - I saw the matt black finished one and really liked the frame.

Two questions -
    2. Is the Synapse frame worth upgrading?

Thanks again.

1.)
    The difference between the Caad9 and the synapse is basically that the synapse is designed to a little more forgiving and comfortable to ride. The geometry is slightly more relaxed - the head tube angle is slightly less steep and the wheelbase a tiny bit longer which will make it more stable to ride. Also the headtube is a little longer meaning that the bars are likely to be a bit higher (can be adjusted using spacers on the steerer tube and stem rises / drops). The other major difference is the synapse is a compact frame design - essentially the top tube isn't horizontal like it is on the Caad9 - giving a bit more stand-over clearance.

2.)
    In a word: Yes. The frames are really very nice, I always feel that with a cannondale you pay a bit more for the frame than you do with other manufacturers (specialized, trek giant etc), but that you get a better frame in the end. I am considering upgrading the components on my dale, but i have absolutely no desire to change the frame. If you were thinking about changing anything the tyres and wheels would be my choice for improving as this will make the most noticeable improvement for the amount of money spent (obv a comfortable saddle makes a huge difference too)
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Rhods wrote:
    I am considering getting a 'dale.

What is the difference between the Synapse and Super Six framesets? Mainly geometry? What type of riding do they suit/Who are each aimed at?
    Thks.
    Rich
  • I was advised by lbs not to bother with the super 6, can't remember why though so not much help i'm afraid, also the caad9 is aluminium and synapse carbon if that matters :?
  • Synapse is available in alu or carbon.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I was advised by lbs not to bother with the super 6, can't remember why though so not much help i'm afraid, also the caad9 is aluminium and synapse carbon if that matters :?

Interesting, given that I believe that the Super Six is a carbon caad9...
    Rich
  • Al_38
    Yep, the super-six is essentially a full carbon version of a caad9 frame - they have very similar geometry. And the synapse frames is available in either carbon or alloy depending on the model. There is also a six-13 that has an alloy back end mated to carbon down and top tubes (possibly also seat tube too). In essence what i said above with regards the caad9 and an alloy synapse applies to the super-six and the carbon synapse except they are made of carbon.

My best advice would be to get a ride on the bikes you are interested in tiagra synapse v caad9 tiagra or a carbon synapse v super-six from your lbs or whoever you would look to buy the bike from. Have a decent ride on them and see which you prefer (also get a test ride on other manufacturers and models of interest). I like a more responsive and stiffer frame (my carbon bike makes the caad5 feel like a blancmange comparatively), I also don't really suffer badly from fatigue from road vibration so a stiff bike works well for me.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't think the Synapse range of frames are the same quality as the CAAD/Six13/Super6 etc range.

The CAADs are US made, but the Synapses are far eastern.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
    6288 Posts: 131
    My gf has a Synapse Veloce (will be same Alu frame as you are looking at tho) and she swears by it ... she had Treks before and she says the diff is night and day ... due to the favourable feel of the bike she was able to sort her position out to a more 'racier' one without any loss of comfort and her overall handling and decending is much improved ...

as with all Cannondales the finish on the frame is immaculate and could easily stand upgrades at a later date so should last you years ...

hope this helps ...

(ps. i ride a Six13 but would happily have a Synapse frame)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    edited December 2008
    RichA wrote:
    I was advised by lbs not to bother with the super 6, can't remember why though so not much help i'm afraid, also the caad9 is aluminium and synapse carbon if that matters :?

Interesting, given that I believe that the Super Six is a carbon caad9...

Hmmmm, they probably didn't have any in stock, glad i didn't buy there in the end 8)

Edit: ESPECIALLY since i told them i loved my old cad 2, probably completely different bikes but still :x
  • Rhods
    Just a quick post to thank you for your replies.

I hope to try some rivals in the next few weeks to try to see if I can see much difference, but being new to all this, I'm not sure what to expect. The Synapse felt pretty good though and all your posts seem to back it up (though I might even stretch for a CAAD if it's really worth it!).

Thanks again.
  • Al_38 wrote:
    There is also a six-13 that has an alloy back end mated to carbon down and top tubes (possibly also seat tube too). In essence what i said above with regards the caad9 and an alloy synapse applies to the super-six and the carbon synapse except they are made of carbon.

A Six 13 has a Carbon cross and down tube moulded to an alu searer and rear triangle (6 being the Carbon Element in the periodic table and alu being, you guessed it, the 13th element)
    A System 6 is a carbon front triangle moulded to a carbon rear triangle, seat tube is also alu in this instance
    A Super 6 (what the pros ride) is a full carbon bike
    A Synapse is a carbon frame with non-racing geometries mainly to suit the sportive market.
    Every winner has scars.