freehub problems??

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited December 2008 in The workshop
my commuting bike free wheel gave up took to my local bike shop who said i would need new hub or rear wheel because it is intergrated into hub well i took it too work removed cassete and sealed bearings which i had just replaced :oops: , and then removed it with a 12mm allen key threaded into hub? can i buy these or is my bike shop telling the truth??? any advice please :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the hub?

Most are replaceable but maybe they just can not get a new one. (and as you have removed it it should be).

More info needed/pics...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hub used to have a name on it but washed off it is old about ten years it takes a shimano cassete and thread is very coarse into hub will have a look tonight for any more info
  • hi just looked at hub its a quandr? i think or something like that not much writing left it was purchased many years ago at a bike shop in dudley west midlands which is now shut!! :oops:
  • hi just looked at hub its a quandr? i think or something like that not much writing left it was purchased many years ago at a bike shop in dudley west midlands which is now shut!! :oops:
  • Was this bike new a year ago? If so, hub/cassette compatibility isn't likely to be an issue. (I don't know many hub models by name, sorry.)

You didn't mention exactly what happened to the wheel. If the hub has failed, then it could well need replacing (repairs aren't always cost-effective these days). Replacing a hub while keeping the rim would require rebuilding the wheel around the new rim, and may require buying new (different length) spokes. This could explain why the LBS suggested a new wheel. There's also the fact that, as a business, they can only stay open by selling things.

As nicklouse suggested, pictures of the faulty areas of the wheel and/or more details about what happened to it would give us a better idea.
  • hi again the hub didnt fail it just wont put drive to the rear wheel under load some times it does sometimes it doesnt it isnt the chain or the cassete for sure, so i suspect the freehub but then again it is around ten too twelve years old!!, and covered 2500 miles this year. just think i should be able to get one? ,cause dont wanna scrap wheel may try and turn it into a fixed wheel!!. the bike needs a bit of work and will do this when money allows. :D
  • Right. I think I'm following now. I'd agree that it's the freehub. The usual steps for fixing this would be to buy a new freehub and put it on your existing wheel. This page has details on your kind of problem, and how to replace a freehub. Sheldon Brown suggests that some early freehubs aren't interchangable, but I've got no personal experience with them.
  • thanks for taking the time to do that for me very gratefull, have removed free hubs before but a long time ago, this one is really weird freehub then very coarse thread on the wheel side that screws into hub have searched but cannot find. will take to another local bike shop soon and ask them.