Marin trail , Betws-y-coed

DV1
DV1 Posts: 22
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
Off to Wales this weekend , and on our list of things to do is the Marin trail

Many reading this must have done it before , what do you reckon ??

What are the highs :D and lows :(

Comments

• I'v not ridden many trails but this is one of the best i have ever ridden. I especially love the downhill sections, and the uphill sections are not too steep. The different singletrack sections are also well interlinked...Have fun
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Long fire road climbs are a bit dull, descents are brilliant. Trail fairies have been out and patched up some of the worn out bit- to its detriment I feel. I liked it a bit rougher... 8)
    Dragons tail is my personal fave bit, you'll ride on some singletrack that goes into a short rocky climb and pops out onto the top a ridge briefly. Then you descend down thee flanks of the ridge, fast and rocky- brilliant!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • I rode the Marin Trail a few weeks ago. Theres the usual long climb at the start, then lots of rocky singletrack. The best downhill section is saved right until the end.....
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    I rode it last year at easter so it was bone dry ( well for wales anyway). It was my first exprience of proper mountain biking proper downhills and climbs. I hired a bike from betws y coed and met it half way round. I got to the last downhill and came to the jumps and stacked it big time :oops: . Nice dead leg for about a week.
    Its great trail which I shall go back again to tame that welsh dragon it
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    It's one of the best trails in North wales IMHO, the first fire road climb is a bit of a PITA but after that it's superb
  • DV1
    DV1 Posts: 22
    What a fantastic trail , superb from start to finish :D:D:D
  • ratty2k
    :D Glad you liked it, I'm off there on Wednesday.
    My Pics !

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I like to recomend Penmachno which isn't far away from Marin at all. I think the descents are better - more technical stuff, more flowing stuff, just more better trails. It feels tougher though and the final descent is a real blinder with some drops and knarly switchbacks. Otherwise Marin was a staple whilst I lived in Bangor. Check out the Spa in Betws - the cakes and pies are home made and a must after the ride! Get some carrot cake in!
  • ratty2k
    Nah, prefer a pint after a ride, with steak and chips.. :D
    My Pics !

• Done the Marin Trail twice, last time a couple of years ago. Really like it, despite my seatclamp snapping the 1st time & having to ride 1/2 the route with the seat down! Technical enough and plenty of variety as far as I remember. Last time was on hols & I'd forgotten a helmet... made me feel like it was 1990 again! I was careful...
    ratty2k wrote:

...anything wrong with steak & chips, pint and cake?!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k wrote:

...anything wrong with steak & chips, pint and cake?!

Oh no, not anything wrong with cake... But I'd prefer another pint :)
    My Pics !

• Ah, that clears that up...
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I'm a fan of the Marin trail - i rode it earlier this year. Maybe not as good as the Afan trails which are the only other ones in Wales i can compare it to but well, well worth a visit. Next time i'll have a look at Penmachno