VR for all turbo trainers ???

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
Hi all...

Wondering if anyone makes a VR system that can be used with absolutely any turbo trainer, as far as I can see all it would take is a sensor on the wheel and a receiver which could clip onto the turbo trainer (and software and a cable etc)... anything like that available? By the way I have a Minoura VFS150GR and I know that the expensive VR trainers vary resistance and so on to simulate hills but it would be good if someone made something simple that was good to look at just to relieve the boredom.

Comments

• Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    Tacx make DVDs that tell you when to change resistance. They are set up for the Tacx range and will work with 7 step, 10 step and ergo trainers.

You just need to look at the screen and make it harder when it tells you.
    I have one for the Marmotte route and it is pretty good. I think there are a couple of others available too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23730
  • Floodcp wrote:
    Tacx make DVDs that tell you when to change resistance. They are set up for the Tacx range and will work with 7 step, 10 step and ergo trainers.

You just need to look at the screen and make it harder when it tells you.
    I have one for the Marmotte route and it is pretty good. I think there are a couple of others available too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23730

I am curious about these DVDs. When it tells you to increase the resistance, is it by using your gears or the Trainer resistance levels? And do you have to calibrate it at the start?

Do you think they offer as good a workout as an intervals session?

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I was thinking of something that might work on a PC, then it would be interactive at least as far as it could move along from how fast you are going???
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    Pedro

The DVDs are designed to use the trainer resistance levels to change resistance.
    They are a crude method of providing an interactive workout.
    I would say they are ok for a bit of a laugh and entertainment. The amount you get out of it depends on how hard you push yourself.
    I would still do intervals but this just adds a bit of variety

Mfin.
    If you want speed inputs etc into the PC then you would need to go for the interactive turbo trainers and not just a dvd
  • Cheers mate, I might give one I try. Although I have been saying that for ages!

I slid on the pavement this morning, so I think most of my winter will be spent in the garage anyway.

pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • I recently upgraded to a Suunto watch/cycle computer and I was thinking of adding one of these to link it to my PC:

http://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-PC-POD.pro

I am going to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel for my training bike. That would give me speed cadence & HR just not watts.

Could be fun to race across the web.

-PaulK