Quality budget brakes??????

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi All
I have an GT Aggressor xc.2 2007 model, half decent bike which comes with tektro io 160mm mech disc and rock shock dart 2 forks, tru vativ iso flow cranks, shimano deore group alex dp17 rims. Wanting to up-grade the brakes (little confidence in the IO' S stopping power) to a good budget disc as on a recent trip to Kirroughtree the brakes didn't stop me in time but fortunately the tree did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Is it a straight forward exchange? do you have to replace 160mm with the same size? do I have to buy new levers etc. Looking at avid 3's does anyone reccomend anything else good but cheap and where to buy??

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Melrin Cycles was doing some good deals on the Hyaes Stroker range of brakes. The Juicy 3s are popular but my personal experience of them hasn't been great,
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've tried some of the strokers, I was really impressed. If you want even cheaper then try the quad hydros, very good performers for very little money.
  • New Hydraulic disc brakes will come ready to fit, including levers.

The only thing to check, are your current brake levers integrated with the shifters? If so then you will need new gear shifters.

Personally I'd keep an eye out for some Avid 3's second hand. In the past I've seen them going for £50-60, which is an absolute bargain.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The above sound good but my all time favorites are Magura Louises. Not the smoothest feeling but cheap and they have excellent stopping power (much better than expensive brakes I've used). They are also the most reliable brakes I've ever used - no bleeding or messing around.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • dont rate the juicy 3's...hate mine and want rid asap.

stroker trails get my vote...they were very cheap on merlin website :)
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I got the magura's I dont find them all that bad.

they do the job and 1 year on have only had to buy pads cause got some WD-40 on them, I have also never bled them and they are still ok, which I use my bike everyday.

Im sure there are better, and I do want to upgrade, but will wait for them to fail.
  • My Tektro Auriga Comps seem pretty good. They came as standard on my GT and work well.
    Sometimes squeak in the wet but putting a bit of heat into them soon sorts them out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you look on the clasifieds, i think someone is selling a set of juicy 7 front and rear for 110 quid, what a bargain, superb brakes.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Unless you are very heavy, Juicy 3s should do all you need them to do.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Merlin are doing Oro K18s for £120 a pair - great brakes.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Had Tektro IO mechanical discs on my GT Aggressor XC3 & recently changed to Avid BB7's with sintered pads. Still mechanical discs so able to use same levers.

Only had a couple of rides since the change (both in heavy muddy conditions) but have been impressed so far.

http://www.trials-uk.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=2029
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I had the same issue when I had my GT Aggressor, so I bought me some Deore hydros, dead easy to fit and massivley improved stopping power.

I've now swapped them over onto my freshly built handjob, but added a 180mm rotor up front and they're more than enough for what i'm going to do on that bike.

I do also have Hayes Stroker Rydes on my FS, but thats got 203mm rotor up front and a 185mm rotor out back, stops like an anchor to be honest. Only down side is the pads don;t tend to last too long
  • pair (front and back) with 160mm rotors pre bled all ready to go are a mere £120

been really good so far..