SLX chainset - chain alignment?

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited December 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Have just had a new SLX chainset fitted :) , and notice that the chain alignment seems to be shifted out towards the dropout :o ; ie small ring aligns with third / fourth largest sprocket, middle with 6th largest and outer with 8th or thereabouts --- gives therefore a very acute angle with middle and top two largest sprockets :( , a combination I often use.
There are two spacer rings fitted on drive side and one left side crank, leaving teh cranks almost centred on teh bike mid axis (2mm further over to right drive side).

Anyone else found this? Can one of the spacers be ditched? or does it have to be shifted to left side leaving asymmetric cranks? :? I`d really like to see a better chain alignment setup........ :)
ta
James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the bb is a 68mm?

and is it the 660 or the 665 crankset?

also what is the frame and what is the old chainline?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JamesB
    68 mm BB, don`t know which type 660 / 665, Airborne Ti Lancaster 2003---but the old chainline seemed much less acute to the middle / largest two cogs combi, hence my concerns :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the wider 50mm chain line is not suitable then.

try just losing one spacer on the drive side, you may get away with not fitting it to the non drive side. take care that the rings still have clearance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JamesB
    Thanks, there`s plenty of clearance between smallest ring and frame, so will take out just one spacer (?2mm width I believe)
  • davcow
    davcow Posts: 51
    If the BB size of your frame is 68mm then you need all three spacers on the BB.

As the cranks and BB are designed to fit both 68 and 73mm BBs, and the spacers take up the slack when used on the smaller 68mm BB shells.

Try moving one of the drive side spacers onto the non-drive side as this should alter the chain line to what you need.

If you just drop one of the BB spacers then the cranks would not tighten up properly and cause damage.
  • cborrman
    cborrman Posts: 125
    I had a new SLX fitted by Dan from mobile cycle express in london, or whatever he is called to an epic which is 68mm with just one spacer, either side:

have done a few hundred kilometres in north downs and richmond park, what will be damaged so far, and how do I get hold of an extra spacer?
    s-works stumpy FSR, sl2 tarmac, siglespeed rockhopper and a bog standard allez