GPS and mac computers

RW
RW Posts: 103
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
Im thinking of buying a gps for my son as a present, since he has lost his garmin forerunner. I've been looking at the garmin 705 and the satmap. However, I am put of both because there seem to be considerable problems about using them for route planning via a mac computer. Anyone have any experience of gps and macs? Any thoughts welcome. Use would be mainly, if not entirely off-road.

Comments

• I don't know this for a fact, but the new macs have pretty good windows emulation, where it should work i think. I can check with my mac-fanboy flatmate and get back to you.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    The mac windows emulation requires that you buy Parallels and a copy of Windows.
    Wine is a free translator to let Windows apps run on a unix-like OS, but given the closed nature of Windows, support for *everything* cannot be guaranteed.

A far better solution than to perpetuate the notion that there's only one platform worth supporting is to buy something that supports your platform of choice, though obviously you can't always do that.

A quick google finds success reports of some GPS devices working on macs. If you've got a budget in mind, but don't know which devices to look at, it might be worth signing up to a mac user forum and asking there.
  • RW
    RW Posts: 103
    Thanks for first responses. I don't think he would want to go down the windows emulation route. I've had a short scout round some of the site. I'd be interested in any experiences mac users in this forum might have.
  • I have a Garmin Edge 305 and it works perfectly with my Apple macbook. I don't use the included Garmin Training Centre as it's cr*p, I use Ascent http://www.montebellosoftware.com/ to review my training data and Map My Ride http://www.mapmyride.com/ for mapping and so far (18 months) I've not had any problems.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • i am also in the same situation with a mac and wanting gps.

schelpcycling - does the 305 record elevation? When you plot it in Ascent does it show a profile of your ride? Is the battery in the 305 capable of lasting all day? Do you have the 305 on your bars or in your bag?
  • Is it not the case that Garmin are busy working away at Mac compatibility. I am sure I read it on specific product pages.

Go to this page here;
    http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

It lists the Mac software currently available, and also states;
    Mac Support at Garmin Connect Fall 2008
    • Edge 205/305/605/705
    • Forerunner 301/205/305
    • Forerunner 50/405
    • Most Garmin Outdoor Handhelds with USB cables
    • Zumo 400/450/500/550

Although some of these products already show downloads for the Mac, eg. Forerunner 305 is already on the website for download.
  • giantjason wrote:
    i am also in the same situation with a mac and wanting gps.

schelpcycling - does the 305 record elevation? When you plot it in Ascent does it show a profile of your ride? Is the battery in the 305 capable of lasting all day? Do you have the 305 on your bars or in your bag?

Yes, the 305 records elevation and Ascent will show you a profile of your ride, check out the demo and screen shots on the Ascent website -> http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

According to the spec the battery will last about 11 hours, the max I've done is a six hour ride and there was still battery life left (can't remember how much though). I have my 305 mounted on the stem keeps the bars clutter free :D
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • I've had 3 (count em and weep) 305s in the last year. 2 replacements under warranty so far, and the longest any of them has lasted in 6 months. Both I would put down to poor components/QA.

Battery life is around 5-6 hours on all 3.

I'd seriously look at the 705 buying new, as it uses a different battery technology, and might be able to handle enough way points to go more than 20 miles.

As for Mac... Works fine. I use Trailrunner (www.trailrunnerx.com) and that works fine for me most of the time. Yes, it records ascent/altitude.

The only issues I have with data are the Garmin itself refusing to store which bike profile a particular run was done on, which with a road bike and a hybrid makes life a pain keeping track of training runs. It means I have to import into trailrunner against different diaries by hand.
  • if you are using Leopard, you can install windows using bootcamp...that way your mac becomes a windows computer.
    the problem with parralles is that you have no graphics and it runs as a programme so it can be quite slow.

i run windows on my Macbook Pro and its good for when you want to run something thats not mac compatible....like games etc etc.