Getting cold

gillyboc
gillyboc Posts: 71
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
hi just after advice on some tights to keep me warm.only ever worn padded shorts or tracksuit bottoms before but i think its getting time to take the plunge, need advice on padded or not padded and bibs or trousers,was only thinking of spending £40
thanks gilly.
It's a one horse town and somebody shot the horse,

Comments

• Today's ride was -11C at the carpark so colder up on the hills. My Ronhills kept my legs, goolies and ar$e cosy! Was wearing Endura Coolmax padded briefs under 'em.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    I wear some altura padded shorts under a pair of those aldi 3/4 length tights under a pair of waterproof adidas trackie bottoms. No worries with the cold this morning.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    Today's ride was -11C at the carpark so colder up on the hills. My Ronhills kept my legs, goolies and ar$e cosy! Was wearing Endura Coolmax padded briefs under 'em.

-11!! blimey!
  • Aldi bib-tights do the job for me (padded with ordinary shorts over the top).
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • After really liking the Altura Summer Cruisers, I got some of their Winter Cruisers. Both are like Ron Hills, but the winter ones are more water/wind resistant and fleece lined. Fab!

But your priority should be your extremities - if they are kept warm everything else is warmer. So key winter apparel for me are DHB windproof headband (for keeping ears warm), warm gloves and WoolieBoolie socks (if dry) or SealSkinz waterproof socks (if wet).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Jeez it was cold yesterday but my trusty Alexa bib tights kept me toasty. The climbs were great and it wasn't too bad on the tops but down in the forest there were pockets of freezing air, it was like riding through a deep freeze :shock:
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    DHB do some good stuff at Wiggle.. Pretty good prices as well, I have a three pair. Two 3/4 length for spring autumn- knees can get a bit cold even then. Also have a full length set for cold weather.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • johnsav wrote:
    Today's ride was -11C at the carpark so colder up on the hills. My Ronhills kept my legs, goolies and ar$e cosy! Was wearing Endura Coolmax padded briefs under 'em.

-11!! blimey!
    Yeah. Braemar, Scotland. Most peoples Camal Back tubes were frozen solid. A few of us have the insulated snowboarding ones, some of which were still OK.
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    gillyboc wrote:
    hi just after advice on some tights to keep me warm.only ever worn padded shorts or tracksuit bottoms before but i think its getting time to take the plunge, need advice on padded or not padded and bibs or trousers,was only thinking of spending £40
    thanks gilly.

I wear padded bib shorts with Endura Wind-Tex bib tights, then my Sombrio 3-season baggies over the top. I was plenty warm enough in the Dales last week with windchill down to about -7 degrees.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I've got a two sets of Pearl Izumi bib tights that have served me well over the years. I'm not normally a big fan of PI but they seem to have got the bib tights just right.

Very warm and comfy fitting for chilly winter rides.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    johnsav wrote:

-11!! blimey!
    Yeah. Braemar, Scotland. Most peoples Camal Back tubes were frozen solid. A few of us have the insulated snowboarding ones, some of which were still OK.

After you have finished drinking, blow back into the tube to push the water back into the bladder. I have an insulated tube that fits inside the shoulder strap as well on my skiing Camelback and it still froze sometimes before someone told me to do this.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • A fully windproof/waterproof outer layer will do wonders for warmth, yesterday spent from 7am till 4:30pm standing around at wallingford regatta with leggings, long sleeve tech top and a hoodie under my waterproofs and i was still really warm despite the wind and rain. Also goretex shoes and sealskinz socks and gloves might have contributed to this!
  • For £40 you can't go wrong with these,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360038993/

Wore mine yesterday, covered 34 miles some of which was on high ground with a cutting wind and remained warm & comfortable. (the size's are slightly on the large size, so order one below you normal size)

Edited to say, I forgot to mention i wore these underneath my Endura Singletrack shorts.
  • I always find it impossible to get the Aldi stuff. I had it recommended to me, but can never see it on their website or in the local store.
  • Thanks for all the the good advice appreciate it :wink:
    gilly.
    It's a one horse town and somebody shot the horse,
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How about gloves? I'm wearing an old pair of motorbike winter gloves just now, which are fairly warm but absolutely gigantic, not really ideal... Any recommendations for the properly cold? (It seems like a lot of people's recommendations for winter gloves are really only suited for warmer parts of the country, or for people quite selective about their winter riding...)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I was wearing full finger downhill type gloves (Fox sidewinders) with a cheap pair of fleecy gloves over them. Sorted.
    Bighit , 5 , BFe